Corsair Community

ASUS A7N8X-E Question

Avarr

I built a system about 3 years ago, based off of the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. Specs are:

3200+ Barton

Radeon 9800 pro

TWINX 1024-3200 C2 1 gb ddr400 XMS 3200 (2 x 512 sticks)

The system has worked beautifully since the build. Recently, I decided to upgrade, and add another stick of ram. I purchased a 1 gb stick of CMX1024-3200C2 DDR400 XMS.

Now my system won't work with the new stick. I have tried it in several different slots, but still I have errors and corruption.

The sticks appear to be the same, so there shouldn't be a conflict - but there is. I haven't adjusted any bios settings, as of yet.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

After reading several posts on this issue that referrenced not mixing ram sizes, I decided to remove both 512 sticks. I tried the 1024 stick in all three slots, and the PC won't even load windows XP. It just gets stuck in a reboot loop, and never loads windows.

Is there anything else I can try?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org!

I reset the system, and tested my old ram - it runs fine together. I took that out, and put in the new stick and set it to 2.8 volts (mobo only has 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8). The 1024 stick passed memtest on one full pass with no errors. I rebooted the PC, and it will not load windows. It just continually reboots itself. :evil:

I have the newest drivers for the board, everything seems to be OK and this new stick matches my old stuff exactly - why won't it work with the new single stick, but it will with the 2 old 512s?! Any thoughts about what I could do to fix this issue?

On another "fun" note, the constant crashes and problems caused when the new stick was in apparently corrupt something in my windows XP. It wants me to re-activate it, but when I try I get BSOD. :mad:

I've just read some articles that stated that this board has a problem with Samsung memory chips. Is it possible that my old ram from 3 years ago is non-Samsung, and my new IS Samsung, even though they are the same stats and settings? That might explain this issue.

• Corsair Employees

Samsung never released 64 X 8 DDR1 IC in volume and as far as I know we never used it.

However, did you load setup defaults and then set the tested settings when you changed from the 512 to the 1.0 Gig modules? And the settings should be Cas 2.5-3-3-6 with one module and if you mix these I would suggest Cas 2.5-3-3-7 and you may need to run the memory frequency at DDR333 with mixed memory, with the 1.0 Gig module in the first slot and then two 512 Meg sticks in slots 2-3. You may not be able to run the one Gig module in dual channel with 2 512 Meg sticks.

Archived