Corsair Community

HX520 and Sapphire X1950Pro

ninja-lewis

I've recently upgraded my computer with a HX520 as part of a wider upgrade. Unfortunately the new system will only display an extremely corrupted version of the boot screen. I asked for help on Sapphire's (the manufacturer of my graphics card) forum for help and a user there suggested that the HX520 is not good enough to support my system. I researched the HX520 before I purchased it so I believe it to be sufficient but would anyone with greater experience of the HX520 care to comment?

My original post on the Sapphire forum:

Motherboard: ASUS P5B-Deluxe WiFi/AP

CPU: Intel C2D E6600

RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) Geil PC2-6400

Video Card: Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB (PCI-E)

PSU: Corsair HX520 (520W) - specs

Monitor: Tried both 19" iiyama CRT (VGA w/ adapter) and 17" iiyama TFT (DVI)

Hard drives: 120GB SATA

Optical Drives: 1x DVD+/-RW 1x DVD-ROM

Additional PCI cards: none

Number of fans present: 4 80mm case fans (2 intakes at front, 1 rear outake, 1 outtake at top of case), 120mm PSU and stock Intel HSF.

No Operating System currently installed.

Just finished putting the above together. Every time the system is switched on, the fans and lights turn on and stay on (including the GPU fan) and as far as I can tell there are no system beeps. When connected to the TFT screen nothing appears at all. However when connected to the CRT screen I get an extremely corrupted (i.e. columns and bands of colour) version of what I believe is the POST screen. Reading this forum suggests that this is a common problem for some cards but there seems to be no BIOS update etc for the X1950Pro (although I doubt this would be any use considering I can't access the BIOS). Multiple reboots do not solve the problem. The motherboard does not have built-in graphics nor do I have another PCI-E card to test the other components. The additional PCI-E power cable is firmly connected to the PSU and the x1950pro, and I don't believe the power is the problem. Advice?

The reply I received:

Heya,..

Check forum for PEG LINK MODE BIOS setting on ASUS boards, that option can cause issues.

That PSU's AMP rating is only 13.33A sustained on each rail = no good for that card either, check the forums ...

GG

• Corsair Employees
The HX520W is more than enough for that card and can provide up to about 43 Amps on one rail when only using one Video card. I would suspect some other problem. Can you test the card in another system to make sure its not a problem with the Card?

• 3 weeks later...

I can back up RAM Guy on this one... I've just built an almost identical system to yours (literally) and have no issues whatsoever with it.

If anything, mine will be sucking a little more juice, as I specced an X1950XTX, a 320GB HDD and have 3 x 120mm plus a 200mm for my case fans.

My specs -

Motherboard: ASUS P5B-Deluxe WiFi/AP

CPU: Intel C2D E6600

RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair PC2-6400 CL4-4-4-12 XMS2

Video Card: Sapphire X1950XTX 512MB (PCI-E)

PSU: Corsair HX520 (520W) - specs

Monitor: 22" Samsung TFT (DVI) & Toshiba 42" secondary (HDMI)

Hard drives: 320GB SATA

Optical Drives: 1x DVD+/-RW 1x DVD-ROM

Additional PCI cards: none

Number of fans present: 3 120mm case fans (2 intakes at front, 1 rear outake, 1 200mm outtake at top of case), 120mm PSU and stock Intel HSF.

(Yes, I C&Ped yours and just edited it... it was THAT close! ;): ) :D:

[edit] Maybe check your RAM?

Archived