Corsair Community

SD Card Help with Notebook

coolmodee

@RAM GUY, I was referred hear by Yellowbeard at the Ncix.com forums.

My question is...

I just bought a 2GB SD card (CMFSDMINI-2GB) and it works fine on my friends PC (tested with 2 different PCs) and my Nintendo Wii.

My question is, I cannot get this unit to work with my Toshiba Tecra A1 notebook computer. I place it into the notebook and the light flashes for the SD port, but no new hardware is found or anything shows up in my Device Manager. I have checked the Corsair site for any drivers for my device, with no luck.

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

Link to my notebook: http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?section=1&group=223&product=1975

It could very well be that my notebook computer does not support 2GB SD cards, but I cannot find anything that tells me that either.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
I would suspect that the SD card controller in the NB will not see 2.0 Gig cards from the Spec page. It does not even list that it has a built in card reader. But I would siggest contacting Toshiba and see if there is a newer Bios to address this. Sorry!

Thanks for looking.

Toshiba has the worst drivers support of all time. My BIOS driver hasn't been updated since 11/09/04 and some of my other drivers are from 03.

I will contact Toshiba and see what I get get.

Thanks again for you time. :D

Coolmodee

Edit: Toshiba's site is useless. I cannot even find where to post/request some help.

• Corsair Employees
Sorry about that, but you might check the documentation or help files on your system Normally they will have a number listed in the properties section where to get help. Right Click on My Computer and select properties.

You might consider a external card reader?

That is a great suggestion.

But I might as well get an internal one for my desktop.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions and all your help.

I appreciate it and I will differently be a returning customer because of all your kindness to me. :D

Cheers mate!

Loaded Ubuntu Linux OS on the weekend on this machine.

Ubuntu also cannot recognize the 2GB SD card either. So it is totally an issue with my Toshiba motherboard not being able to read bigger the 1GB.

Also, no way Toshiba has drivers for Linux, lol.

Just wanted to let you no this. :D

No, not yet. I do not have one, nor do I think I no anyone that does. I don't really want to go out and buy one either. (For the $20 for the SD to USB adapter, I could buy another 2GB SD card. :D)

I bought the SD card for my Wii. I am using it to save Virtual Console games, saved games and saved Mii characters. For that, it works great!

The only reason I wanted to use it with my computer was to put some pictures on it for my Wii program that allows you to view sideshows. I don't really care about doing this either, just wanted to test it. I have now tested it (got some pictures onto it via my friends computer) and now don't care about the feature.

Toshiba has really really pissed me off over the course of owning this notebook (3.5 years now). I would NEVER recommend a Toshiba notebook to anyone.

Again, thanks for all your help with my issue. I really do appreciate the time you spent helping me and Corsair has me as a customer for life due to your technical help. I am in the computer industry and have dealt with a lot of support people in my years and you really have been the most helpful!

You work for Corsair right? Do you have a manager/boss I can contact to tell them how good of a job you have done and how much I appreciate it?

Cheers

Coolmodee

• Corsair Employees

Yes I am a Direct Corsair Employee and have been for more than 3 years, and just posting what you said is enough the management reads the forum every day almost. So they will see this, and personally I have been doing computer support for more years than I care to remember but we have always tried to treat people like we want to be treated.

Thank you for the compliment, and if the issue is the size of the SD Card getting another card will have the same issue.

Archived