Corsair Community

Intel D975XBX2

PaulTa

Hi, I'm about to purchase RAM for a new mobo, the Intel D975XBX2 (also known as Bad Axe 2). I wanted to know which PC2 6400 Corsair modules are compatable with this board, and/or if any testing has been done with campatability in regards to this board by Corsair.

A suggestion for a good online retailer would be great too. I have heard that newegg's returns take a few lifetimes, and the 6400's seem to have an abnormally high failure rate among the communities that I am a part of.

Thanks for the suggestions and help, and I look forward to speaking with all of you in the future.

Regards,

Paul

*EDIT*

I thought that I should mention that I have already tried the mem. configurator, and it doesn't have my motherboard posted. I am also only interested in 2x1 gig sticks.

• Corsair Employees

I would suggest using Twin2x2048-6400 or Twin2x2048-6400C4 with this MB and set the memory voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you get.

And that I believe was spured on by some people who may not even have our modules. But we pulled their Invintory and tested all 800 sets we got back and only 10 failed. You have to consider the Volume we sell and the number having problems is still small compared to the total we sell.

hey thanks mate.

I think I'll go ahead and go with the CAS 4 stuff you guys have, and if all works well for me I'll make sure to recommend Corsair to friends.

I have a question though. I need to put RAM in the mobo before I can boot up so that I can set the voltage, but how do I boot up a new mobo if I don't have any RAM on hand? :bigeyes:

Also, I can set the timings and voltage via the bios, correct?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

1. TWIN2X2048-6400 - CAS 5

2. TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - CAS 4; faster than #1; not sure what heatsinks, if any, are used.

3. TWIN2X2048-6400C4D - Dominator CAS4; uses DHX heatsink; dark gray color; heat sink is better than #4

4. TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO - Same as #3 but different heat sink and has pretty lights.

FYI...

I have the BadAxe2 and running with four sticks of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D running at 4-4-4-12 and memory voltage at 2.00V.

So far, I got one successful pass after approx 55 minutes and no errors. My memories are rated up to 2.2V, but why run at 2.2V if 2.00V is stable. :)

Next, I'm going to try to see if I can get them to 6400C3D speed :) and then move onto OC my CPU.

Lastly, the Dominator fans may not work with this MB if you're using any of the nVidia reference 8800GTX graphics card because one of the screw on the back lines up right with the memory clips. I'll see if I can post a picture sometime this week. Too busy playing with my new system still. :)

Specs:

CPU: QX6700

MB: D975XBX2 Bios: 2634

Video Card: eVGA 8800GTX

Case: CM 832

PSU: Corsair 620HX

HDs: two WD Raptors 150GB

Edit: Forgot to mention that my memories are not running at 1066. Memtest86 v.170 is reporting my memories as

RAM: 399MHz (DDR798) / CAS: 4-4-4-12 / Dual Channel (Interleaved)

You will need to have CPU Video card and memory to post the system. Sorry and yes the timings and voltage are set in the Bios.

Wait...so, in order to use this memory which will not post as a result of incompatible voltage, I will need to change bios settings. In order to do this, I will be required to buy some other memory that will allow the system to post?

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to since RAM isn't cheap. Why can't corsair just make good ram that will work?

Wait...so, in order to use this memory which will not post as a result of incompatible voltage, I will need to change bios settings. In order to do this, I will be required to buy some other memory that will allow the system to post?

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to since RAM isn't cheap. Why can't corsair just make good ram that will work?

Customer service at Corsair told me the Twin2x2048-6400C4D will run okay at 1.8 or 1.9 just with a 5-5-5-14 latency, even though Intel says it's "incompatible". Intel's site has a very short list of "verified" vendors, which looks to me as if there's some sort of "pay to play" aspect to getting your RAM "verified". All their 3rd party verifications are through one contracted company. It may be that Corsair is big enough that they didn't want to have to hire out those services. I am disappointed at the apparently high OOB failure rate in the 6700 series, but it does happen. They'll stand behind their warranty, have no fear.

Let me ask, have you tested both sticks? According to Corsair, the Intel 975 chipset will POST with one stick of RAM. That's sufficient to determine which one of the sticks is bad, and a POST tells you your MOBO is not at fault. If you get a boot on one stick, try moving it to another slot to verify you don't have a bad slot. Find a buddy who will let you "borrow" his RAM for an hour so you can isolate the problem to the Corsair pair, then get an RMA and return them.

In my situation, my brand-new D975XBX2 "BadAxe" would not POST with the TWIN2X2048-6400C4Ds at all. One gave the dreaded 3-beep "memory error" audible, the other stick would POST 1 in 5 tries and freeze up at various places during the other attempts. I returned the pair on an RMA and then took 1GB of Corsair 5400s from another machine I have -- the BadAxe POST ran just fine, which at least confirmed the problem was NOT the motherboard. While I'm waiting for the higher-speed RAM, I'm going ahead and configuring the system.

Ah, Thank you. I actually haven't purchased any ram yet, I'm just researching to find good ram for my D975XBX2. That's what led me here, I like corsair, but I was having trouble finding memory with the specs that that the MOBO calls for. So I checked the forums and saw several threads about issues with memory for this MOBO.

I still am not quite sure which memory I'm going to get (Though, I'm pretty set on 2x1GB at 800MHz, I'm not sure which one of those sticks I want), but I do feel a little better about this now. I was a bit concerned about paying for ram that ultimately would be incompatible.

Any suggestions about which version of this type of ram I should look at getting would be very much appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
With 4 modules you would need to manually set the timings and Frequency, I would set it to DDR667 at 2.1 Volts and just let the Bios set the timings but EPP if its listed in the bios should be disable with 4 modules.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Don't mind me jumping in on this thread... but I too am about to pick up one of these Bad Axe 2 thingies (I am buying a new system part by part as I can afford it) and was curious about setting the Dimm voltage.

I read in the Intel site bios guide/ glossary for this mobo that there are 2 voltage selections available, not including the obligatory AUTO switch, which are 1.8 or 1.9 volts.

IF this mobo is 1066 capable with dual core or quad core processors....

IS this an old guide I am reading?

What is IPP Technology?

Obviously the PC8500 @ 1066 is faster than PC6400 @ 800, will my BA2 run PC8500 effectively??

and

Will running four sticks (4Gb) cause any loss of system functionality (like the 87PBZ did when running 4x sticks by turning off PAT)?

• Corsair Employees
The Intel I975 chipset is rated at DDR2-667 MHz and will over clock to DDR2-800 MHz with a 1066 FSB CPU, and I have never seen a Intel MB do much over 711 Mhz with 4 modules and a 1066 FSB CPU.

Thanks for replies and help, it is much appreciated.

I found the information regarding vDimm I needed (the intel manual seems to be lacking).

If I understand correctly... these boards (XBX2) have a range of 1.8v - 2.8v in various incremental steps.

now to find what the rest of the options relate to...

onward and upward...up and atom

• Corsair Employees
No problem, I am sure there will be someone on a forum somewhere that will publish more detailed info about some of these settings, you might check over at the Intel forum would be a good place to start.

Archived