Corsair Community

ReadyBoost

Netvyper

Ok, so i've got Vista Installed on a 2nd Disk;

I was playing about & this ReadyBoost thing came up;

I've got a 10,000rpm Raptor-X, which is pretty quick; but I thought my Voyager 2gb Might be faster - It seems not.

So my questions are: does anyone know how readyboost decides whats good enough & what isnt? and is there a reason my Flash Voyager isnt? and well, will it really help? :p

This is part of a F.A.Q. taken from a blog on MSDN here.

Q: What perf do you need on your device?

A: 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes

Q: My device says 12MB/sec (or 133x or something else) on the package but windows says that it isn't fast enough to use as a ReadyBoost device... why?

A: Two possible reasons:

1. The numbers measure sequential performance and we measure random. We've seen devices that have great sequential perf, but horrible random

2. The performance isn't consistantly fast across the entire device. Some devices have 128M of lightning fast flash and the rest of the device is really slow. This is fine for some applications but not ReadyBoost.

From testing common applications it seems that if you have 2GB of memory already installed on the system, you will not be able to see the difference it will make. If you only have 512MB of system memory, you will notice. However, judging by the fact you have a Raptor-X, I dont think you are running 512 mb. :D:

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, guys. I've got a question. Will I be able to run Vista if I've got 512MB DDR. I also bought flash voyager 2GB and I'm going to use it using ready boost. So question is: Will I be able to run Vista smoothly or not????? Other components are: AMD turion ML-34, mobility X700...

vista will run, dunno how smooth.

readyboost will not work with that readyboost, doesn't meet the requirements, as it was developed and made well before the readyboost specs came out. The GT series does meet the readyboost specs I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

The only way to see of your drive supports Readyboost is in Vista...

I have several older drives that Vista deems Readyboost capable.

Try it, if it's a decent flash drive, then you won't have to buy into purchasing a "Readyboost" certified flash drive.

Gotta love marketing....

Archived