Corsair Community

Help needed with ASUS A8AE-LE

Mister E

I guess I caught the memory compatibility bug. I have a Presario SR1710NX (ASUS A8AE-LE mobo). Going by HP's "specs"

4 x 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 4 GB 400/300 MHZ DDR memory modules

I bought a stick of VS256MB400 from Newegg. After I installed it the BIOS reported PC2700 instead of PC3200. The VS stick runs as PC3200 by itself, but it looks to be incompatible with the old ones (Hyundai and Samsung). I later discovered this site and Corsair recommends CMSS256MB-400 (at almost 2x the price).

My questions are:

1. Is this guaranteed to be compatible with the other memory, or should I stay with Samsung or Hyundai?

2. HP says all modules must be the same size for Dual Channel mode to work. Does this sound correct?

3. I seem to recall seeing that DDR memory must be installed in pairs for Dual Channel mode to work. Does that sound correct?

Also, memtest reports the timings as 2.5-3-3-7 with the Corsair memory installed and 3-3-3-8 without, if this helps at all.

Thanks for any help.

• Corsair Employees

1. Is this guaranteed to be compatible with the other memory, or should I stay with Samsung or Hyundai?

A:

CMSS part's Yes

VS Parts No

2. HP says all modules must be the same size for Dual Channel mode to work. Does this sound correct?

A: Yes All Dual channel MB's would need the module to be matched and in some MB's all of the modules would need to be identicle.

3. I seem to recall seeing that DDR memory must be installed in pairs for Dual Channel mode to work. Does that sound correct?

A Yes it should be. See above.

Also, memtest reports the timings as 2.5-3-3-7 with the Corsair memory installed and 3-3-3-8 without, if this helps at all.

A: VS256MB400 The timings would be Cas 2.5-3-3-8 at DDR400, and if you mix these with the memory that came with you system it will slow it down to DDR333 and at DDR333 the timings would be Cas 2.5-3-3-7.

Archived