Corsair Community

How Hot?

setilsn4

I have recently been having issues with my Corsair XMS512-3200 RAM, 2GB worth (4x512mb), I know...nothing real impressive. However, this has been the best ram I have ever had until recently, after owning it for almost 9 months. I have recently been having random crashes...after doing several testsI narrowed it down to the RAM. When I run memtest or prime I get errors or worse...it crashes. I have swapped the ram out with some spare kingston ram and it runs fine. I have since tested the Corsair memory in two other boxes and get the same type failures with memtest and when I load anything in windows on these other machines...same story...crash.

In removing the memory I noticed that these jokers get HOT...super HOT! This seems to be the case no matter how long they are in. I have never really made it a practice of touching the ram to see how hot it gets...but with this testing I was surprised...does ram normally get so hot you can barely touch it in a short time? If not, what would cause this? I am running everything off of an APC Battery and figured that would protect against power surges, brown-outs, and so on. If it is known to run this hot...WOW...that is amazing that it even operates at these temps.

For the record...I don't OC at all! I have already made an RMA request on these...so this is mainly out of curiosity...Thanks for any information!

Thanks for the fast reply RAM Guy! I would suggest to anyone else who has questions to not make the mistake I did and not read through the forum...noob mistake on my part. I found the answer in a reply that RAM Guy had made here.

I am glad I found this forum...seems to be far more help throughout that is beyond the scope of memory issues. Then again I guess that this is on par with Corsair's great product, memory specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it is time for an update on this and kind of a testimony on Corsair's service. I did in fact send back all four sticks of memory that I had via the RMA service and I cannot believe how quickly Corsair tested the memory and got back to me. They tested it and did in fact find that all four sticks were bad and thus would be replaced, but there was an issue. The issue was that my sticks of RAM were no longer in stock/production...was this an issue for Corsair? Uhhhh NO...the person that was taking care of my case kindly gave me the option of replacing them with the current equivalent, upgrading, or issue a refund based on your original invoice...being that I bought these last year I opted for the replacement.

I have to admit this was the best customer service I have ever experienced with a company...and in I.T. that is saying ALOT! I will update this post again once I receive my RAM and let you all know how this all ended.

Thanks Corsair!

Archived