Corsair Community

620 HX Dual 8800 GTX Links?

Sylver

Okay, I understand from reading various posts that Corsair has done some internal testing and has been able to run two 8 series cards in SLI with this power supply. Where are the statistics? 61 views and no response..this is a red flag to me. I like what I have seen in the reviews, particularly the heavier capacitors and high heat rating, but I will have to pass on this PSU if I can't get some kind of confirmed data.

• Corsair Employee
Okay, I understand from reading various posts that Corsair has done some internal testing and has been able to run two 8 series cards in SLI with this power supply. Where are the statistics? 61 views and no response..this is a red flag to me. I like what I have seen in the reviews, particularly the heavier capacitors and high heat rating, but I will have to pass on this PSU if I can't get some kind of confirmed data.

In our internal testing, we've identified that at full load, an 8800GTX consumes around 160-170W of power from the +12V rail. This is about 14A.

Two of them total to 28A.

The rest of the hardware is dependent upon your configuration, but an Intel Quad-Core processor (QX6700) overclocked to 3.3 GHz on an eVGA 680i motherboard draws about 11A from the +12V rail. So now we're at 39A.

Add a couple hard drives at 1A each, you're between 40-45A on the +12V rail at your ambient case temperature (which is most frequently between 35C and 40C) and our HX620 can handle 50A on the +12V at 50C, even more down at 35C and 40C.

If you have some huge number of hard drives, like more than 6, you might want to look into a higher-wattage supply. Keep in mind, it's not running at those ratings at idle.

At idle, the G80 draws about 7A, or 84W of power. The processor draws 4A, or 48W of power. The same system above that draws ~45A at full load will probably draw less than 20A at idle.

In our internal testing, we've identified that at full load, an 8800GTX consumes around 160-170W of power from the +12V rail. This is about 14A.

Two of them total to 28A.

The rest of the hardware is dependent upon your configuration, but an Intel Quad-Core processor (QX6700) overclocked to 3.3 GHz on an eVGA 680i motherboard draws about 11A from the +12V rail. So now we're at 39A.

Add a couple hard drives at 1A each, you're between 40-45A on the +12V rail at your ambient case temperature (which is most frequently between 35C and 40C) and our HX620 can handle 50A on the +12V at 50C, even more down at 35C and 40C.

If you have some huge number of hard drives, like more than 6, you might want to look into a higher-wattage supply. Keep in mind, it's not running at those ratings at idle.

At idle, the G80 draws about 7A, or 84W of power. The processor draws 4A, or 48W of power. The same system above that draws ~45A at full load will probably draw less than 20A at idle.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for!:D: I think two 8800GTX's require 4 connectors (2 each) for the PSU, would I have to buy extra connectors or does it come with enough for SLI GTX's?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks, this is what I was looking for!:D: I think two 8800GTX's require 4 connectors (2 each) for the PSU, would I have to buy extra connectors or does it come with enough for SLI GTX's?

I'll answer for Power Guy.

Basically, every G80 card comes with adapters to go 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCI-Express. You'd use one of the 6-pin PEG cables from the PSU, and for the second connector you'd use the adapter that comes with the video card and a molex connector.

Archived