Corsair Community

Bad memory module

fazziebear

Hello,

I have been having system crashes (once every 2 hours, sometimes went days without crashing). This has been happening for the past year since buying nvidia 7800, biostar 6100 mobo and corsair cmx 1024-4000pt platinum series x2.

Now because it was so infrequent I didnt get round to testing what was causing the crash until last week when I though tit must be the graphics card as I had trouble with a new monitor. It was just undr warrenty and I sent it back for testing. Turns out it was fine. I was then told to try testing the memory with memtest.

Memtest says I have a errors with one of the 1024 sticks, of course the warranty has just run out (jan31st).

So my question is can this stick be repaired or am I stick with the bill of a new one. and if so do I have to buy a pair of mem sticks again or can I just replace teh damaged one.

Lesson learnt is: ALWAYS RUN MEMTEST ON NEW MEMORY!!

• Corsair Employees
First thing, the PSU you have listed my be to low for the configuration you have and if you are over clocking I would not expect your system to be stable, can you tell me the bios settings you have set for the CPU and memory?

Hello,

I'm not over clocking and I have had a 600watt power supply and it still crashed.

I bought the memory from CCL believing that it was ddr400 (that's what their website said), I've only just realised it was ddr500.

So my bios is just set to the standard 200mhz, cpu is also at stock 200mhz.

ok, i did a few more test (sussed the cas settings. Memtest still failed.

i tested each module seaprately and swapped slots on the mobo, both passed in the slot one, both failed in slot 2

so it looks like the mobo is knacked, not the memory.

Thanks for the time and help.

Archived