Corsair Community

New HX620W Observations

curlysir

Installed a new HX620W this last week to replace an Antec Neopower 480.

I did a lot of research before I bought this PS and read most of the posts on this site. My final choice was between the Corsair HX620W and the SeaSonic M12. I went with the Corsair after reading several reviews. The main reason I did not go with the Seasonic is that if the 2nd fan ever comes on it will not shut off until the system is shutdown.

Installation was no problem. The module cables were a must.

Observations so far:

Exhaust temperature is running about 10 to 15 degrees F cooler then the previous PS. I have a therometer with a wired remote sensor at the discharge of the air at the rear of the PS. I have another almost identicial computer with an Antec Neopower 480 running in the same room. I am observing the same temp differential on these systems. The HX620W is always at least 10 degrees F cooler.

Power load monitored by the software on my UPS shows that the HX620W is actually drawing less watts then the previous PS. This is a big plus. I was really pleased by this.

So far I am really impressed with the HX620W and have ordered another one for my other computer.

It would have been nice if all cable had been sleeved but the wires being ribbon type wiring helps.

I did not use the 8-pin EPS 12 volt connector and had to strap it and put it on top of the PS. No biggie but it does add to the clutter.

I would also have liked to have some way to monitor the PS fan rpm as the Antec did.

Like I said I am very impressed with the PS and made the right decision when I choose the HX620W.

Congrats on your choice of the Corsair PSU! :biggrin:

I used to be an Antec PSU user, until I noticed that the heat from my most recent one came out quite a bit hotter than it should have been - and what made it worse was the fact that my 120mm rear case fan could not blow out the air even though the rear was unobstructed and the fan was spinning. Then, I discovered that the Antecs' design generally favored low noise over adequate internal cooling. They needed a somewhat louder fan just to cool down their innards (which come quite close to becoming cooked) - but the choice of fans used in the Antecs could not spin fast enough to keep up with the cooling demand: They stayed at a relatively slow speed even at their full maximum speed.

Archived