Corsair Community

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe & Corsair question

atrox79

Hello Everyone...I just signed up here. I have a quick question for you.

I have a computer with the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard & 2GB of Corsair CMX1024-3500LLPRO DDR RAM.

I want to upgrade to 4GB, however it seems like they don't sell this kind of RAM anymore. I'm not sure about all of the intricacies of memory compatibility, so I was wondering if I would have any kind of problem if I just bought 2 GB of Corsair XMS memory. I'm looking at getting TWIN2X2048-6400. Is there anything I should know or watch out for as far as compatibility goes? Thanks in advance! :D:

• 1 month later...

Along the same lines as the question, I'm also considering bumping up to either 3GB (2 512K sticks) or 4. I also have TwinX2048-3500LLPro sticks in my A8N32 systems and was dismayed that these aren't sold anymore. Considering that the memory controller steps down to DDR333 with 4 sticks of memory anyway, I would assume it wouldn't matter sticking a couple C2 sticks in the system, right? I may lose the 1T timing but other than that, it should be fine (matched sets per channel assumed).

Otherwise I'll take a couple LLPros in one system and buy a couple C2 sets.

I have the same exact situation.

:idea: I had the dream of building my first PC a couple of years ago, and I was going to do it right.

:sunglasse I bought all the latest, greatest stuff (relied heavily on Maximum PC 'Best of the Best' articles).

:biggrin: I bought an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard & 2GB of Corsair CMX1024-3500LLPRO DDR RAM, an AMD Atholon 4400+, and one XFX GeForce 7800 SLI card.

:cool: I had a limited budget, so I started off slow with the intention of upgrading my CPU to 3GHz or higher, adding another 2 GB of RAM and another GeForce to run in SLI mode.

:bigeyes: Now that I have the spare change to do it, guess what?!?!?

:rant: AMD stopped socket 939s, I can't find Corsair 3500LLCPro RAM to save my life, and it looks as if 7800 GTX cards are discontinued.

:brick: I've been everywhere looking to buy another Twinx2048-3500LLPro to no avail... am I screwed? Is there any compatible memory for my mobo?

:greencry: Please help!

:faceslap: It was hard enough justifying over $2,000 to my wife for a 'base' system that I was going to add to over time. I really don't want to go to her and try to explain that I have to start over :)

Thanks all for letting me rant...

• Corsair Employee
No worries I do understand, but the industry is moving that way the production life of these products average about 6-12 months now where they used to run about 12-18 months a few years back. But I would just keep looking you might find someone who is updating.

I just found out:

The LL Series was a part built for speed. Using 4 x 1GB will increase the load ability but decrease speed because I would be limited to 333MHZ. All socket 939 systems will require you to decrease the DDR frequency to 333MHZ when installing 4 modules.

Thanks for the reply Ram Guy, things are looking up! I think I'll just go out and get a socket 939 Athalon FX 60 (fastest socket 939 available) and overclock it to 3GHz. Then if I get that second 7800 gtx, I'll be all set.

Thanks for the reply Ram Guy!

All socket 939 systems will require you to decrease the DDR frequency to 333MHZ when installing 4 modules.
Not quite correct. When the E3 cores came out, that restriction was lifted. Timings still have to be loosened though.

Thanks for the correction Wired. Let me ask this then... I plan on getting a socket 939 Athalon FX 60. I can't seem to find out if it has the e3 core. I'm assuming it does.

If so, I will be able to (if I can find someone selling it) put in another 2GB of 3500LLPRO in and it will still run at 433MHz?

If I have to 'loosen' the timings, will that reduce performance?

• 6 months later...

I also have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, and another Premium. Corsair TWINX1024-3500LLPRO 1GB Kit DDR433 XMS3500 ProSeries memory.

I will ask what I think the others were eluding to.............

Is there any memory compatible with this ?

(NOTE: I do not want to swap out my memory; I want to ADD)

Thanks for the reply. The other thought I had was DDR 500 memory. The 3500LL Pro was listed as "DDR 433". Would that work? Would it be faster? I am not very good about overclocking memory, the Asus AI Booster does it for me. The only thing I see is the memory voltage, but have no clue. Also the memory config says a Corsair model that is DDR400 compatible with this board. I am guessing it's a little slower than the one I have?

Thanks again. Newegg has DDR500 at a "reasonable" price. I'll put that in the mobo and do a lil research on overclocking memory and relaxing the settings. I'm a total noob here. I also need to research whether or not the memory/mobo is compatible with Opteron 185. As others have explained to me that is the fastest Socket 939 on the market (The FX-60's are priced at $900 :laughing: or used on reBay :mad:

Archived