Corsair Community

Asus L1N64-SLI compatibility

vsekh

I have an Asus L1N64-SLI with a pair of FX-74 processors for a system that I am putting together. I am trying to get 4 of the Twin2x2048-6400C4D modules to work in this system. I have not been able to get a stable system with all 4 memory modules installed in 400, 533, 667, or 800 speeds. I tried all different memory timings with 2.1V Vdimm. I have been able to get a stable system with 2 modules installed at 5-5-5-12 timings at 667 speed.

Are these memory modules compatible with this motherboard and are there any other settings I can change to get all 4 chips to work?

TIA

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I tested each module separately with Vdimm set to 2.1V, memory speed set to 800, and memory timings set to 4-4-4-12. The system would not post with one of the memory modules with any of the timings.

Should this module be replaced and do I send in the whole kit?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same setup. Ramguy is right, the CPU multy is 15x.

I installed XMS2 TwinX 6400C4. Bought two sets of 2 GB's.

I couldn't get to 4-4-4-12. I then realized I mixed em up.

I looked at the lot numbers and made sure I put lot "A" in slots A1/A2, then put the lot "B" in B1/B2. Lot A and B being sets A and B.

Anyhow after switching them around CPU-z shows me 4-4-4-12 2T?

The reason I got em mixed was I intended to install only 1 CPU, then decided to use two FX74's.

FSX gives me 18-30 FPS sitting at KJFK with all sliders set 1 notch below max. Water at 1x. Vehicle traffic moving around like crazy etc. This with Vista-32.

Once you get the rig up and running your gonna be happy!

Buck

PS: I also noticed that if you are going to install 4GB, I found DIM Voltage 2.1 seems to be more stable.

Let's get them both replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

I got the kit replaced with the online vendor I bought it from as it was still less than 2 weeks since I had bought it. I ran with 1 kit for about 3 weeks utilizing 2GB total with no issues.

I got the replacement kit today. I tested both modules successfully at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V. I plugged one kit into A1 and B1 slots, then the other kit into A2 and B2 slots. I could not get into Vista successfully as I would get a blue screen. I tried to run with memory timings 4-4-4-12 at DDR800, DDR667, and DDR533 with the same problem. I even tried to set the memory timings to 5-5-5-15 settings but had the same problem. The Vdimm was set to 2.1V.

I'm wondering if the 1st memory kit should be plugged into A1 and A2, then the 2nd kit should be plugged into B1 and B2?

I plugged the first kit into A1/B1 the second into A2/B2.

How big is your power supply? I used the 1KW Eneramx Galaxcy.

If your NOT using 2 PCI-E video cards don't plug in the 4 pin molex connector on the motherboard. With some PSU's you will have voltage problems.

Good Luck

Buck

I'm using a Silverstone Strider 750watt power supply right now with an EVGA 7900GS video card.

Not sure why I can't get Vista running with 4 of these 1GB memory chips with the A1\B1 and A2\B2 setup per the Asus manual.:confused:

Are there any specific bios settings that I need to set to get 4 chips working?

Under Advanced: JUMPER FREE CONFIG

AI Overclocking [Auto]

CPU FID/VID Control [Manual]

CPU MULTIPLIER [AUTO]

ALL HYPERTRANSPORT [1000 MHZ]

CPU CONFIGURATION

SHOULD SAY

AMD ATHLON FX-74 PROC

REV F-2

L1-128 L2 - 2048

SPEED 3000MHZ

CURRENT FSB MULTIPLIER 15X

MAX " " 25X

ABLE TO CHANGE FREQ. YES

nCODE PATCH LEVEL 0X6A

GART ERROR REPORTING [DISABLED]

MICROCODE UPDATION [ENABLED]

SECURE VRETUAL MACHINE [ENABLED]

CHIPSET: ADVANCED CHIPSET SETTINGS

UNDER MEMORY CONTROLLER

MEMORY TIMING PARAMETERS [CPU NODE 0]

MEMCLOCK MODE [MANUAL]

MEMCLOCK VALUE [800MHZ]

CAS LATENCY (CL) [4.0]

TRCD [4 CLK]

TRP [4 CLK]

TRAS [12 CLK]

1T/2T MEMORY TIMING [ 2T]

MCT TIMING MODE [MANUAL]

TRRD [ 5T]

TRC [15T]

BANK INTERLEAVING [ AUTO]

NODE INTERLEAVING [DISABLED]

DQS SIGNAL TRAINING CONTROL [ENABLED]

MEMCLK TRISTATE [DISABLED]

CS SPARING ENABLE [DISABLED]

MEMORY HOLE REMAPPING [ENABLED]

POWER DOWN CONTROL [DISABLED]

These are the setting i'm using, works for me.

Using a new BIOS 0205 from ASUS.

Dual booting XP and Vista-32.

Buck

Thanks for sharing your bios settings Buck.:praise:

I had to set the MCT timings manually to get into Vista x64. I left the AI Overclocking to manual so that I can set the Vdimm to 2.1V.

I tried to install the latest Sisoft Sandra to test memory bandwidth, but it keeps saying the database is corrupted and is not able to connect to my computer.

Hopefully my system will be stable. I am going to run 4 instances of Folding@home to test system stability.

Non of my proteins from the 4 consoles has failed yet. Looks like the system is completely stable set to DDR800 settings. Though, according to CPUz, the ram is running at 376.7 frequency. Is this normal?

Ramguy, I ran memtest with the memory frequency set to 800 in the bios and did not have any failures with all 4 memory chips installed.

Archived