Corsair Community

Bad RAM - XMS series

And here I thought my computer was pretty rock-solid!

I installed Windows Vista and was encountering WAY too many crashes, even for a new OS (including frequent BSODs). I ran the Windows Memory Tester on my separate modules and found that my pair of XMS sticks was bad. I ran the test a couple times to make sure, but yeah, every single time it came up bad (right around the same spot, too).

What do I do now?

It's probably also worth mentioning that I have another set of Corsair XMS (purchased at a later date) which I tested seperately (in the same DIMM slots) and they came up just fine.

Running Windows with the "good" pair of RAM sticks causes pretty much no errors, whereas running with only the suspect pair sometimes even refuses to boot, not to mention the memory tester errors. I would use memtest86 but I don't have a floppy drive handy, so... I'm trying to do the best I can! :)

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived