Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe and TWIN2X2048-6400C4D More Problems

65Cobra

Well I thought I had this beat but not so. I reached a point where memtest would make 20+ passes without an error while testing each memory module separately. This was after fixing a heat issue with the CPU and making changes in the BIOS per this forum. But when I ran memtest last night with BOTH modules installed (one in each yellow slot), I received 9 errors in about 5 hours.

I immediately checked the temperatures in the BIOS...

CPU Temperature: 40

Motherboard Temperature: 34

This is all that's in my system...

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D

GeForce 7950 GT KO

Floppy Disk Drive

I have yet to reach the point where I hook up the hard drive and start installing Windows.

Here is a list of my BIOS settings in the critical areas:

Advanced\Jumper Free Configuration

CPU Frequency: 266

DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800 MHz

PCI Express Frequency: 100

PCI Clock Sync Mode: 33.33 Mhz

Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.10V

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.450V

NB VCore: 1.65V

SB VCore (SATA, PCIE): Auto

ICH Chipset Voltage: Auto

Advanced\USB Configuration

Legacy USB Support: Disabled

Advanced\CPU Configuration

Modify Ration Support: Disabled

C1E Support: Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled

Vanderpool Technology: Enabled

CPU TM Function: Enabled

Execute Disable Bit: Enabled

PECI: Disabled

Intel SpeedStep: Disabled

Advanced\Chipset\North Bridge Configuration

Memory Remap Feature: Disabled

Configure DRAM Timing by SPD: Disabled

DRAM CAS# Latency: 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4

DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 12

DRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

DRAM TRFC: 42

DRAM TRRD: 10

Rank Write to Read Delay: 10

Read to Precharge Delay: 10

Write to Precharge Delay: 15

Static Read Control: Auto

Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG/PCI]

PEG Port Configuration

PEG Force x1: Disabled

PEG Link Mode: Auto

Asus C.G.I.: Auto

VCore Voltage: 1.296V

3.3V Voltage: 3.296V

5V Voltage: 5.068V

12V Voltage: 12.144V

Where do I go from here????

This response has been edited...

Yoxxy, I basically got the information from the Ram Guy. I found a link that took me to a section called "Dominator Qualifications and Testing!"

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54052

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400C4D:

Twin2x2048-6400C4D Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5B, P5WD2 or M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If its Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

CPU Core Voltage: Auto

FSB Termination V: 1.50 V

MCH Chipset V: 1.65V

ICH Chipset V: 1.20V

• Corsair Employees

Please just load setup defaults with the latest bios version installed and then set these settings and leave the other settings at default.

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 266MHz

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If its Listed)

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Legacu USB: Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

RAM GUY, I have the most recent BIOS (v1004) so I loaded the setup defaults and changed only the settings you listed, with the exception of the following two settings which I was unable to locate in my BIOS...

I'm running memtest and will post the results. In the meantime, do the above two settings exist in my BIOS?

Thanks

RAM GUY. Memtest failed again with your recommended settings, during Test 8, Pass 4. Failing Address 0000a8fb44c - 168.6MB. Good 00000000. Bad 00000200. Err-Bits 00000200. Count 1.

I had this EXACT same error last night when I was trying Memtest with the Voltage set to 1.9V in case my Motherboard was sending too high a voltage. I also have the feeling I've had this same error even before last night because I remember the Failing Address being 168.6MB.

Please tell me what to do now. Thanks

EDIT #1 @ 06:00pm EST on 02-02-2007

RAM GUY. After this last failure I decided to run Memtest again with your settings, only this time with the Memory Voltage set to 2.25V. I just got home from work and so far, after 13 Passes, there has yet to be an Error (I hope I'm not jinxing myself).

I did this because there have been other posts implying possible variances in the actual voltage output of the motherboard compared to the setting in the BIOS. I previously tried 1.8V but had trouble getting the system to boot, and both 1.9V and 2.1V resulted in errors. So this time I decided to go in the opposite direction and try a higher voltage. So far so good so I'm going to continue running the test until I hear from you.

If using 2.25V is successful, it raises a couple questions:

How common is this type of situation?

How do I know which component is the problem? (MB, RAM, PSU?)

Should I be exchanging one or more of these components?

EDIT #2 @ 09:00pm EST on 02-02-2007

Well, so much for the 2.25V idea. I thought it was the solution but they eventually failed memtest too. I'm doing a cross exchange with newegg per my post below.

Yoxxy, your comments have already been addressed. My original post says I am failing Memtest, which was the whole reason for posting. And my message from yesterday at 11:12pm shows the recommended settings (including the ones you're questioning) were from RAM GUY on this forum. Here is the link...

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54052

Part of the problem I'm running into is there is more than one location on this forum with information that mostly repeats itself, but with minor differences between them. Having the P5B Deluxe doesn't help either because it's apparently a troublesome motherboard. My problem is I only have so much time to return/exchange this stuff and I'm not about to get stuck with $1300 of equipment that doesn't work.

I did try the settings you recommended in your first post here, and I really appreciated your input, but Memtest still failed.

Thanks

EDIT #1 @ 06:00pm EST on 02-02-2007

Yoxxy, I hope the above didn't sound critical because it certainly wasn't meant to be. I was in a hurry to get back to work and you know we should never type messages when we're in a hurry. Thanks again for helping. BTW, read the above post because at this point it seems like using a Memory Voltage of 2.25V is working. Later

RAM GUY, thanks for at least trying to help. I just had a chat with NewEgg which is where I made the original purchase. Due to time restraints, I'm going to go through them. They said I could purchase a new set which will get them to me much quicker. And they issued me a return RMA for the old set and agreed not to charge me the 15% restocking fee since they are defective. So basically we are doing a cross exchange.

I would like to know one more thing... Is there any reason I should NOT go with the TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Modules this time? In other words is there another module that might have a better chance (i.e. more stable) of working with the Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi motherboard? I really need a stable system which is the main reason I'm not overclocking. Thanks.

As a final post on this subject, I replaced the original 6400C4D modules with a set of 8500C5D modules I ordered from NewEgg. I loaded the BIOS default settings then set the timing to 5-5-5-18, the "Write to Precharge Delay" at 15, and the Voltage to 2.15V (the choices were 2.15V and 2.25V). I tested them throughout last night and today, mostly with the Memory Diagnostic program from MS, and there were no errors. NewEgg agreed to let me return the 6400C4D modules for a full refund without the 15% restocking fee so they go back in the mail tomorrow. Although I'm happy I can finally move on and install Windows, I'm disappointed I had to spend more money to get what I should have had with the 6400C4D modules. Still I appreciate all the help I received on this forum so thank you all.

• Corsair Employees
I am glad you are up and running and alos I am sorry to get back to you late, just a bit busy these days. The XM2S-8500C5 Modules are a great set of modules and will make you happy you did I am sure and at 800 Mhz they should be able to run at Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Volts. I am sorry that you had trouble, but I think you will be glad you got these modules. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Archived