Corsair Community

My computer won't accept my new memory cards

jadacoy

Help! I ordered two 512MB memory cards for my HP Compaq nx9010 laptop. My specifications were for 200-pin DDR SO-DIMM, and I got them today--two ValueSelect memory modules with those specifications. (I'm a teacher and our tech help comes from the central office. As a note, while I know my way around MS Office and Windows well, I know very little about the inner workings of computers.) So Corey, the tech, went to install it and my laptop wouldn't read it/accept it.

This is the second time I've ordered memory only to have it rejected. The first time I ordered a 1GB card that it wouldn't accept. Corey called HP and they said this model of laptop has to have two separate cards and won't read one big one. But now it won't read either of these two, separately or apart. It did accept the 256MB card from another company that I initially bought to supplement my memory, but it won't read these. This time HP said they were sorry, but it wasn't HP memory, so they couldn't help.

Corey, the tech, told me that this is the right kind of card, and the computer just isn't accepting it. He said that other brands of cards have been accepted, and gave me their names. Do I really have to send these back to NewEgg and get *another* set of memory cards? Is there something we can do to get my recalcitrant laptop to read this memory?

HELP!

EDIT: If I've posted in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll go elsewhere. Thanks!

Help! I ordered two 512MB memory cards for my HP Compaq nx9010 laptop. My specifications were for 200-pin DDR SO-DIMM, and I got them today--two ValueSelect memory modules with those specifications. (I'm a teacher and our tech help comes from the central office. As a note, while I know my way around MS Office and Windows well, I know very little about the inner workings of computers.) So Corey, the tech, went to install it and my laptop wouldn't read it/accept it.

This is the second time I've ordered memory only to have it rejected. The first time I ordered a 1GB card that it wouldn't accept. Corey called HP and they said this model of laptop has to have two separate cards and won't read one big one. But now it won't read either of these two, separately or apart. It did accept the 256MB card from another company that I initially bought to supplement my memory, but it won't read these. This time HP said they were sorry, but it wasn't HP memory, so they couldn't help.

Corey, the tech, told me that this is the right kind of card, and the computer just isn't accepting it. He said that other brands of cards have been accepted, and gave me their names. Do I really have to send these back to NewEgg and get *another* set of memory cards? Is there something we can do to get my recalcitrant laptop to read this memory?

HELP!

EDIT: If I've posted in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll go elsewhere. Thanks!

Hello jadacoy,

The maximum memory capacity for your laptop is only 1GB total (limited by the laptop's BIOS). And to get the 1GB maximum, you must use two 512MB cards. That Compaq laptop does not support any 1GB cards at all. And if you try to put in both 1GB cards of any make, your laptop will fail to POST.

Thus, I'd return the memory to the reseller where you got it from (Corsair will not do RMA's on memory if the memory model turns out to be incompatible with your system, only replace the modules with the exact same model if any prove defective).

Understood. I initially bought a 1GB card and learned that it wouldn't read. So I bought two 512MB cards. Any idea why those won't read?

Hey Wired,

Question for you. I went to the link you provided and found what I was looking for right away. I then went to http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=DDR-266+%28PC-2100%29+SODIMM+&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all. The exact product listed on the search site in $79.99. Another that has the same specifications but which does *not* say "System Specific: HP/Compaq" is $30 cheaper. Do you know if it can be substituted, or do I need to buy the more expensive model?

Thanks!

Archived