Corsair Community

max memory in a sony pcv-rs511p

PolishPower

I am running on a 3-year-old sony pcv-rs511p model desktop and I'm looking to make a memory upgrade. At this time I'm running on 1.5gb of pc2700 ddr and the sony system specs say the max memory on this machine is 2gb. I was just about ready to purchase an extra 512mb stick to max out, but just today I ran SiSoftware Sandra utility to discover I apparently have a maximum installable memory value of 4gb. I have 4 dimm slots on my mobo, can anyone confirm that perhaps 4x1gb sticks could be recognized and compatible with this system?

• Corsair Employees
According to the information I have that system only has two slots and a max of 2.0 Gig of memory. And as long as you replace what you have now I would suggest VS2GBKit400C3 as long as you have a 800 FSB CPU.

This is odd, I've checked out any documentation I could find online regarding my model pc, and indeed they all do say that it only has 2 memory slots. I know for a fact that I have 4 DIMM slots, I opened my case plenty of times, and all the labeling on my machine as well as SiSoftware Sandra utility are claiming im using a PCV-RS511P(UC). I'm going to go for your advice of buying the 2x1gb pc3200 chips, but now since I have 4 dimm slots would there be any drawbacks of installing 1gb chips? I indeed am running on a 800FSB cpu, I'm just curious if there is a max amount of chips i can insert in this board before the memory speed goes down and if each dimm slot can support a chip over 512mb.

currently, i have 2x512mb kingston pc2700 chips and 2x256 samsung pc2700

Archived