Corsair Community

TWIN2x2048-6400C4 Bad??

rfhop22

Hmmm.. Not sure where to start. Anywho here goes.

I have been testing for system stability with different settings in bios and with different utilities such as memtest 1.65 and orthos dual core. My MB bios is 1707.

Cpu Config

cpu freq= 400

mem freq= 800

mem volt= 2.1

FSB = 1.5

mch= 1.85

ich = Auto

vcore =1.4

Mem timings by SPD

Memtest for 24 hrs No errors

Orthos i get error 5 mins to 11 min.

3dmark 06 looped over 2 hours and no hiccups.

Heat doesn't seem to be an issue. My MB temps is 32c using Asus prob.

Cpu temp using coretemp with load the highest i seen was 56c with vcore @ 1.475

Now.. I back it down to

cpu= 350

mem= 700

mem volts = 2.1

FSB = 1.5

mch= 1.6

ich = Auto

vcore =1.375

Ram timings 4 4 4 12 and @ By SPD

Memtest errors after 35 passes.

Orthos no errors after 12 hours.

I have test all @ stock and its stable.

My next step is to pull sticks and test individaully.

I have read most if not all P5w DH C2 guides out there.

Is my Memory bad or should I be looking somewheres else?

I see that the post got moved to warranty.

Im hoping that I don't have bad memory. Maybe I do.

I was just hoping for some info of why I maybe getting the errors.

I didnt get any errors with memtest running the rig@ 400x8 with mem@800 2.1v, but got error with orthos. I suppose I could add more vcore.

running 355x9 with mem@710 2.1v gives me errors in both memtest and orthos.

Want does this memory run best at on the P5W DH?

• Corsair Employees
Not exactly what I said, but chances are if you have a failing module they will fail no matter what frequency you have them at and over clocking is hit and miss. So the fact the system is stable suggests the modules are OK but you can over clock your system to be sure or test them in another system if you like!

Ok.. I'm just trying to rule out some things to what is limiting me. Your right about it being hit or miss.

Any suggestions for the best memory thats great for Overclocking with my setup?

Would the Dominators (pc8500) be overkill?

Thanks for your help RamGuy

• Corsair Employees
Would the Dominators (pc8500) be overkill?

For the MB you have yes maybe, but you can search for this MB in Performance Reports and see how high we over clocked it.

But as I rememeber it topped out about 960 Mhz so the module you have now are good and the XM2S-8500 would also be a good choice just the top end of the modules would not be available, but you might get Cas 4 at that frequency with the 8500 module's.

I'm not new to overclocking. Although it may seem that way. The new Intel c2 and 975 chipset are new to me. I think its great how they have been able to sort of isolate most things so you dont OC everything at once. DDR2 and the straps have kind of thrown me for a loop.

Do you have any links for some forums that my have some P5W DH guru's? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help Ram Guy.

• Corsair Employees

Well not really, there are just too many models now, its not like it was in the past like with the ASUS CUSL2 there was a web site dedicated to that MB http://www.cusl2.com that site now has become http://www.abxzone.com.

But I would try ABX and http://www.hardocp.com and in the over clocking section of this forum. Just take ur time with it you will get to know it they are related so once you understand one chipset then the next one is much more easy to catch. When the light comes on it like; DA! Its not as hard as it looks at first.

Archived