Corsair Community

Maximum memory amount (Nvidia 680 - Asus Striker Extreme - Windows Vista)

sexinxs

Hi I'm new and practicing (from Italy).... so sorry in advice for stupid questions and bad english...

I'm bulding a Windows Vista Ultimate system on an Asus Striker Extreme MB, an Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 and two Asus EN8800GTX...

Choosing memory I went for TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF...

BUT:

what is maximum memory amount supported by motherboard AND/OR the OS??

Still now I bought one pair but, before buy the second pair, I need to know if the system will support 4GB... A friend on an Asus P5N32SLI (not E) and two Asus EN7950 installed 4GB but Windows XP Professional shows onnly 3GB :[pouts:

Anyone has the answer??

Google didn't gave sure answer..

Thanks

Ambrogio

Milano - Italy

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=117&l3=0&model=1439&modelmenu=2

Just like finding these forums... the best way to find out info on a component is going to the website :)

Dual channel memory architecture

4 x DIMM, max. 8GB, DDR2-800/667/533, non-ECC and un-buffered memory

* Refer to http://www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)

Most likely the reason your friends memory is not all noticed by the operating system is that it probably has different timing (ie 4-4-4-12, or 5-5-5-15, or something along those lines.)

Generally speaking when timing is off, things dont work right.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! I installed Vista 64 and it shows 4 MB!!! :biggrin:

Ok now I "see" the full amount of memory, but is there any difference in terms of benchmarks???

Just to know if it is better to keep the 32 bit version and not "see" the total memory but with same specs with complete compatibility with software or to install the 64 bit version because faster???

A

Archived