Corsair Community

6400C4 settings on Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ65

timchaos

I ordered my motherboard and memory from Newegg last week and am testing them now. The system information is in my profile. It's been a while since I've manually adjusted any settings and I'd like to make sure I have everything set right for stock speeds on the CPU (presumably 1066 MHz?), memory (800?) and timings. Here's what BIOS shows:

CPU Clock Ratio: 10x (was 8x)

CPU Host Clock Control: Disabled

CPU Host Frequency: 266

PCI Express Frequency: Auto

CIA2: Disabled

System Memory Multiplier: Auto

Memory Frequency: 800

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: Option 1

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

CAS Latency Time: 4 (was 5)

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4 (was 5)

DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4 (was 5)

Prechare delay(tRAS): 12 (was 18)

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): Auto

Rank Write to READ Delay: Auto

Write to Precharge Delay: Auto

Refresh to ACT Delay: 0

Read to Precharge Delay: Auto

Memory Performance Enhance: Normal

****** System Voltage Optimized *******

System Voltage Control: Manual

DDR2 Overvoltage Control: +0.300V (was Normal)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control: Normal

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control: Normal

FSB OverVoltage Control: Normal

CPU Voltage Control: Normal

Normal CPU Vcore: 1.35000V

So do those settings look right? For now, I don't want to be overclocking but I want to make sure I'm not underclocking anything untintentionally, either. The only chages I made were to change the multiplier to x10 (to get the stock 2.66 GHz) and set the memory adjustments to Manual and to go from 5-5-5-18 @Normal voltage to 4-4-4-12 @ +0.300V, presumimg that means 2.1v. Everything posted OK and no errors on two passes of Memtest86 v1.70.

In the future, if I want to try some relatively "safe" overclocking settings, what are the options to change? Is there a good guide somewhere that details these settings for this processor and chipset?

Aside from Memtest, is there any other testing I should do to check things out before I install the OS (Win XP SP2b w/Vista premium upgrade)?

Thank you!

I'm not having some problems, perhaps someone can advise me on what to try before I RMA the motherboard and memory.

The system worked overnight in Memtest86+ v1.70 with no errors at the settings listed in my first post. Today, after a power cycle and no other changes, it stuck in the BIOS post right after the Memory check said "OK". I could not get it to reboot after numerous attempts, it always stuck there.

Finally it rebooted normally, but I've had frequent reboots and hangs during post since. When it does get to Memtest again, it often crashes in test #3, many times when it gets to pattern 7f7f7f7f7f then I see a flash of red and the system reboots and hangs again. Unfortunately, it's so fast I don't get to see any details. All this at the same settings.

When I was able to enter BIOS setup, I tried reflashing the BIOS. I tried clearing the BIOS. I reset the BIOS to load "Optimized Defaults". I've reseated the memory and swapped memory slots. None of these helped much and there were no BIOS changes from the listed settings until I loaded the Optimized Defaults.

I then tried 1 stick of memory at a time. Stick 011916 seems to work OK alone in any memory slot.

Stick 012319 alone can't even post post. Sometimes it wont even post, sometimes it hangs at the OK message for the memory. Other times it posts and then gives a blank screen and hangs.

I then went back into BIOS with stick 011916 and chaged it to 4-4-4-12 and +0.3V again from the "Auto" settings that were loaded when I went to the Optimized Defaults. This stick posts and runs Memtest OK in any slot, though I haven't run more than one full pass yet.

I then put stick 012319 in. It posted the first time but immediately generated errors in Memtest. This time I caught it in Test #2, pattern 00000000. A rash of 5120 red errors. This was typical "Good 00000000" Bad "ff000000" Err-Bits "ff000000" Count "1". The next startup it got into memtest and rebooted itself. The next time it didn't make it to Memtest at all. Switching memory slots it made Memtest again and generated 10s of thousands of errors in Test #1, Err-Bits said "08000000" each time around addresses 00008xxxxxx. Another reboot hung in Post at the Memory Testing OK point again.

Putting back in stick 011916 again and it is currently running memtest fine going into the second pass.

So, motherboard issue or one memory stick failing after a power cycle? Please help so I can get my new system working and go on to loading my OS. Thank you!

The "Good" stick is now on Pass 4 of Memtest. There have been two failures

Tst 6, Pass 3, Failing Address 000281e0e10 - 641.0MB, Good fdfffff, Bad f9fffff, Err-Bits 04000000, Count 1.

Tst 6, Pass 3, Failing Address 0002ade0e10 - 685.0MB, Good ffffff7, Bad fbffff7, Err-Bits 04000000, Count 1.

No lockups, reboots or other issues. Yet.

Given the testing, I'm convinced it is a failing memory part so I submitted a Tech Express request. I'd be willing to hear any comments- do I try to RMA for replacement via Corsair or RMA for refund at Newegg and go with an alternative?

Could some obscure motherboard instability issue still be a possibility? Given that it ran for over 16 hours without a single error in dual channel mode with both sticks, I'm thinking that is unlikely but who knows since the "good" stick now has generated a couple errors. I guess a power down cycle (perhaps 10-15 minutes off while I grabbed a quick meal) could have affected the motherboard somehow, too. I will note that both Gigabyte and Corsair list this memory as supported on this motherboard.

Oh sorry I thought I listed that but I apparently forgot. I updated to F9 as one of the very first things I did after the first turn on. Once or twice after it failed to post, the BIOS reverted to the backup copy which was F7 (original version with board) and that didn't help, either.

What exactly is MCH voltage? Would that be something that would cause a failure after a 16hr burn in?

I'll give it a try a bit later. So far, the system has had no issues but one more memtest error with the "good" stick- no reboot issues or lockups.

I have not yet installed any OS, I was still burning in the system running memtest off a bootable floppy. I wanted to know if there were any parts or compatibility issues before going through the install of XP and doing a lot of setup.

BIOS says 1.35 for Vcore. That must be the default since I never changed it.

The first day and night of testing with both sticks at memory rated timings there were 0 errors. Probably 20 hours or more total, 16 of which were continuous. It was only after a power down cycle the 2nd morning that the problems began.

After that, one stick is clearly not working. The other has generated only a handful of errors overnight last night and all day today, basically like those I listed a couple posts ago. I think there was one more in test 6 and one other one that looked similar but in another test.

I've gone up in 0.5 volt increments to +0.2v on (G)MCH. The good stick still boots to memtest with no errors (at least as long as I let it go for a few minutes). The bad stick still hangs during POST or generates massive errors in Memtest immediately.

So one stick does not post at al or errors occur immediately? If so you should RMA the modules.

It still varies as before. Sometimes it will post and give immediate failures in memtest. Other times it hangs somewhere in the post sequence. It doesn't matter which memory slot used. I did submit a tech express request. The RMA is being evaluated. Apparently there is no cross shipping, so I'm looking at 24-48 hrs to approve an RMA, 2-3 business days shipping there, presumably a business day or more to evaluate and 3 more to ship back. I might not even have it next week:-( I may just order another kit and return what I have for a refund.

It wouldn't be a big deal, except that I would like to test my other components thoroughly before their return period is up, some of which are only 15 days...

I have in the past just returned it and paid the restocking fee and purchased another set, but I am impatient. A lot of the times the retailers will not make you pay a restocking free (newegg specifically) if you tell them the item was sent DOA.

I have in the past just returned it and paid the restocking fee and purchased another set, but I am impatient. A lot of the times the retailers will not make you pay a restocking free (newegg specifically) if you tell them the item was sent DOA.

Well the choice was essentially made for me. I have not received any "official" recommendations on how to proceed or a status on my Corsair RMA request approval that was made Sunday night. On the other hand, I received earlier this afternoon an approved RMA request for full refund from Newegg that I made last night (Monday). I didn't even have to tell them it was DOA to avoid the restock fee, I just explained the situation;-) So, I'm taking the path of least resistance of course.

I also received a new kit of memory this morning and so far zero errors in 5.5hours at the optimized default motherboard settings. I'll let it run overnight then do some power off cycles before I continue with the hard drive and OS install.

Thank you again for the input. I think I've now all but eliminated a compatibility or motherboard issue.

• Corsair Employees

Actually I have not answered this thread as I saw that you were getting help from some of the Forum helpers. So I do apologize and we have no problem ever replacing any set of modules even if there is some doubt.

But it sounds like the problem has been resolved, again I am sorry I skipped this post earlier.

• 2 months later...
Actually I have not answered this thread as I saw that you were getting help from some of the Forum helpers. So I do apologize and we have no problem ever replacing any set of modules even if there is some doubt.

But it sounds like the problem has been resolved, again I am sorry I skipped this post earlier.

No worries. The replacement memory has been running flawlessly. Shortly after buying the 2GB kit, I added a 1GB kit for a total of 3GB. It's running in dual channel without a hitch, so I'm pretty sure it was not a motherboard issue.

Archived