Corsair Community

Which psu is best for me.

SkeeterUK

Want one that will last and be of use if i go to 8800 type cards in the future. It has to be sli/crossfire compatible so 2 good pci-e connectors (black ends). It has to be latest atx spec. Has to have 20 pin for my current motherboard tho can be 24 with the 4 being detatchable like my current akasa does. Has to be good quality and last.

To power this lot.

AMD 64 3500+ at stock (venice type) tho might wana oc to 2.4-2.5ghz

2gb Geil Value ddr400 at 2.5,3,3,7 timings.

Asus a8v deluxe rev 2.0 motherboard.

x1950pro HIS AGP 512mb. (gotta be powerful enough to power this and as i said any future cards).

Audigy 2 ZS

dvdrw

1 LED 120mm case fan (back)

1 Akasa Amber 120mm front case fan

Power the 3 led lights from case (p160 Antec)

Using 1 gigalan for internet

Using 2-3 USB devices, 1 wheel, 1 printer, 1 joypad. (perhaps)

Non USB keyboard and mouse.

Support for 2 hdd (IDE)

Need future support for 2 SATA 2 drives.

Got to fit in antec p160 case.

Hmm think thats about it.

Was lookin at corsair 520w psu as ppl said it was good, but i mean its not being out long has it? So how does it compare to long trusted makes like enermax and seasonic? I heard its a rebadged seasonic but why?

Price limit max of £80. Tho i have seen the 620w corsairs go for 107 quid with delivery in the price there. So might stretch to that ONLY if its a absolute need of it.

--

Has to power a conroe system middle of next year and last for years. Which is a good thing considering the 5yr warrenty on these psus.

--

Edit - Btw is my current motherboard the asus a8v deluxe compatible with this corsair psu? Does anyone know what atx spec it is (motherboard) as i duno how to find out what atx spec it is.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp will give you an accurate idea of what your system will need.

It is a good idea to get around 150w more then what you are currently using so you can upgrade in the future.

The 620w psu is more futureproof so you will not need to purchase a new psu for quite some time.

Any questions feel free to contact me.

Thank you.

Yeah i have used that many times but according to that my current psu should be ok for the x1950pro but its not so i take whatever it says with a pinch of salt. Seems computers need the amps not the wattage these days as the x1950pro says on box 450w psu with 30amps on 12+ rail. Yet a friend has same card and psu except he has a newer revision with a pci-e from psu to card and not using a adaptor like i did (2x 4pin to 1x 6pin pcie). And his worked while mine didnt. Well it worked for a bit but then came powering up problems and freezing in games after 5 mins play in gta sa.

I mean im broke really i cant really afford any psu cos i spent all my dosh on the new gfx card i saved up for. I dont work you see so hard to get upgrades. Hence why i need REALLY convincing with good long post why i should get a 620 over a 520 as i aint upgrading to conroe till probably near end of next year and then it will be just a conroe with 4mb catch (6600 but the cheaper version coming out soon 6250 or somit) and duel core not quad. And midrange dx10 card 8600 ultra maybe i duno.

Want one that will last and be of use if i go to 8800 type cards in the future. It has to be sli/crossfire compatible so 2 good pci-e connectors (black ends). It has to be latest atx spec. Has to have 20 pin for my current motherboard tho can be 24 with the 4 being detatchable like my current akasa does. Has to be good quality and last.

To power this lot.

AMD 64 3500+ at stock (venice type) tho might wana oc to 2.4-2.5ghz

2gb ******** Value ddr400 at 2.5,3,3,7 timings.

Asus a8v deluxe rev 2.0 motherboard.

x1950pro HIS AGP 512mb. (gotta be powerful enough to power this and as i said any future cards).

Audigy 2 ZS

dvdrw

1 LED 120mm case fan (back)

1 Akasa Amber 120mm front case fan

Power the 3 led lights from case (p160 Antec)

Using 1 gigalan for internet

Using 2-3 USB devices, 1 wheel, 1 printer, 1 joypad. (perhaps)

Non USB keyboard and mouse.

Support for 2 hdd (IDE)

Need future support for 2 SATA 2 drives.

Got to fit in antec p160 case.

Hmm think thats about it.

Was lookin at corsair 520w psu as ppl said it was good, but i mean its not being out long has it? So how does it compare to long trusted makes like enermax and seasonic? I heard its a rebadged seasonic but why?

Price limit max of £80. Tho i have seen the 620w corsairs go for 107 quid with delivery in the price there. So might stretch to that ONLY if its a absolute need of it.

--

Has to power a conroe system middle of next year and last for years. Which is a good thing considering the 5yr warrenty on these psus.

--

Edit - Btw is my current motherboard the asus a8v deluxe compatible with this corsair psu? Does anyone know what atx spec it is (motherboard) as i duno how to find out what atx spec it is.

Check you motherboard before you go for a corsair!!i bought one and the corsair is non compliable (foxconn) with mine, you cant get an answer from corsair as to what is compatable and what is not there is another high end psu make and they have a list of compatable mobo's i wouls look there first if your mobo is listed there then it's good bet the corsair will work for you, dont get me wrong the corsair 620w is a cracking bit of kit but i feel i did'nt get the support i wished for, i asked them to suggest something that was compliant and i got no reply on the subject!!

I did ask at bottom of first post if it was compatible, tho the tech guy didnt really say a definate yes or no. So erm ram guy or otehr tech support guys is it compatible? I wont buy one till i get a definate yes or no. So up to you if you want to make a sale here. Be truthful tho.

i am having to look for another motherboard to fit but can't get any help from corsair so it is a guess weather it works or not:mad:

Brassman, can you please start your own thread if you have a question or an issue. I am confused as to what point you are trying to make here. Also, coming in at the end of another thread often causes your questions to be overlooked.

Its ok he was just warning me about the incompatabilites with some motherboards with regards to voltages as i have heard similar things on the forums here.

Well, he stated that he requested information and got no reply. We try to avoid that.

As to the 620 over the 520 for you, it is a solid choice mainlyl because you asked about additional drives and future proofing. There is a better selection of cables in the 620 package to add more drives, etc. Also, not knowing how future video cards will draw power, or if you will do Crossfire or SLI, the 620 is the safest choice for "future proofing". We have run some insane loads on the 520s in the lab but, the 620 has that extra power available, specifically a bit more on the 12v rails.

Based on your first post, you made a solid choice.

Why do you [corsair support] never answer if the asus a8v deluxe was tested and passed ok with the psu in question?

Also everyone knows the new ati dx10 midrange cards will have 8 pin power connectors needed (pci-e 2.0 i think) So it better support them as well with a purchasable cable that fits on the modualr sockets. And them cards will be out rather soon i hear as little as a few months time.

• Corsair Employees

First thing,

Brassman as I remember had a older MB that needed ATX 1.3 spec PSU and our PSU is ATX 2.1 which I fail to see how that could be our fault if the MB will not work with the PSU. I am sorry it does not work with his system, but the MB may have been to old.

SkeeterUK

This thread is way to confusing to follow, I am sorry I just dont understand what you are tryung to ask.

Please be specific about your questions.

Thats all i wanted to know with regards to compatability as in volt problems. Now why ram guy didnt answer that in the first place i will never know. lol.

What are you talking about please list a link or reference, I answer all of the posts on this forum every day or usually with 24 hours from the time its posted excluding weekends and Hilidays.

Why do you [corsair support] never answer if the asus a8v deluxe was tested and passed ok with the psu in question?

A: Again please post a link to the thread or post that I missed.

Also everyone knows the new ati dx10 midrange cards will have 8 pin power connectors needed (pci-e 2.0 i think) So it better support them as well with a purchasable cable that fits on the modualr sockets. And them cards will be out rather soon i hear as little as a few months time.

A: Please talk to the maker of the Video card you want to purchase as they will be able to tell you the power requirements of the hardware they make.

Please note when I see questions that are not about memory or a product we make I will many times ignore the post.

Its ok he was just warning me about the incompatabilites with some motherboards with regards to voltages as i have heard similar things on the forums here.

A: Well no he was upset because he did not know or check the requirements of the MB and has; and he has a PSU he cannot use and was upset at us. His issue is not related to your post as I can see.

I did ask at bottom of first post if it was compatible, tho the tech guy didnt really say a definate yes or no. So erm ram guy or otehr tech support guys is it compatible? I wont buy one till i get a definate yes or no. So up to you if you want to make a sale here. Be truthful tho.

A: This was posted previously so I dont know or understand what you are trying to say or ask!

RAM GUY Our HX520W would do the Job but I would suggest getting our HX620W with the configuration you gave!

Archived