Corsair Community

Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 vs CM2X1024-6400

robinwatts

Hi all,

I built a computer several months back, based on a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 motherboard and 2x1Gig of Corsair CM2X1024-6400 memory.

I've been plagued by random reboots every couple of days. I've tried changing the PSU and it still doesn't help.

On a suggestion of a friend I tried Orthos the other day, and that found problems when running the 'Blend' test (test CPU and RAM), but not when just testing the CPU.

It has been suggested that the memory needs non-standard DDR voltages, (I've seen references to 1.9v, 2.0v and 2.1v on the web, but can't find anything definitive). Can anyone tell me what the true figure is please?

The voltage options in the BIOS are "Normal" or "Normal + ...v". What counts as Normal? 1.8v ?

Also, I've seen references on this board in another thread to someone saying they tried resetting the memory timings in the BIOS to 5-5-5-12, but I can't for the life of me see how to reset those timin******** all I can see are voltage options and the overall memory speed.

I'm using the latest F9 BIOS. Any hints people can provide would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Robin

Voltage should be set to +.3v.

To get to the timing settings when you enter bios hit ctrl + f1.

Now when you are in the System Tweaker it will list memory timings.

I believe changing the voltage and timings will add stability.

Thank you, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Voltage should be set to +.3v.

To get to the timing settings when you enter bios hit ctrl + f1.

Now when you are in the System Tweaker it will list memory timings.

I believe changing the voltage and timings will add stability.

Thank you, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried setting the voltage to +.1v and it made the machine more unstable.

Based on your message I then tried it at +.3v and it failed even more often.

I've tried Ctrl-F1 and you're right, it got me access to the memory timings - but they look fine.

I've reset the memory multiplier to 2.66 instead of 3 so that my memory is now running at 709 rather than 800MHz.

This *appears* to have stabilised the machine, but I won't know for sure until I've done some more tests.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Robin

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have the latest BIOS, and using the setup defaults with the DDR2 voltage as "Normal + 0.3v" my machine becomes far more unstable than with it just at "Normal".

I've tested with memtest86 before (but not memtest86+ admittedly) and it passed fine, at the "Normal" voltage.

Dropping the multiplier to 2.66 (so 709MHz rather than 800MHz) (at the Normal voltage) seems to have stabilised the machine; orthos ran for 3 and a half hours earlier before I had to stop it to do some real work.

I'll try memtest86+ing as soon as I can. Thanks.

Robin

Archived