Corsair Community

Pair of 6400c4 failing in Orthos

Obrut

RamGuy,

I have a matched pair of 2x1G Corsair XMS2 6400c4 memory running at 800MHz 4-4-4-12-T2 @ 2.1V. The Blend test in Orthos (Prime95 clone) failed any given time between 2 min. and 30 min. of testing. At first I thought it was a CPU problem. It took me 3 days just to find out that it's not the CPU but a memory problem. Then I raised the voltage to 2.2V and it was somehow more stable. But when I changed to 2.3V everything became rock solid stable in all tests.

My question is: will 2.3V damage the RAM as it is 0.1V above the specs?

The reason I'm posting in "Compatibility Questions" is that my motherboard (ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe) is well known for "undervolting" every component in the PC.

For example: vcore of 1.45V in BIOS measures 1.35V with a multimeter. I'm not sure if this is valid for the memory.

10x

Additional information: the sticks are v2.1 which I found out are not based on Micron ICs. I've spend $403 (exactly 50% of my monthly salary) on this memory but it behaves like a cheap value memory.

RamGuy, could you please answer my question, because I have to know if 2.3V is too much for this memory? If it is I'm going to buy another memory (Corsair of course) and this time make sure it's Micron-based.

2.1 Volts is max for these modules, if you still have problems please test them one at a time.

Testing them one at a time makes no difference. The problem arises with frequencies above 408MHz (816MHz), which leaves me with no room for any overclocking. The reason for buying this memory was the multiple reviews stating that they can go up to 1104MHz without a hitch. It was too late when I discovered this is valid only for the first revision of this RAM.

Anyway, 10x for the quick reply, RamGuy. You have a great support at Corsair. I very much appreciate that!

Can you please provide a link to these reviews?

Version 1.2 sticks:

http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1960&page=5

Other reviews you can find googling the forums but the above link goes with the PCstats reputation.

And BTW now I underclocked the memory to 757MHz and everything is OK. But you can imagine how an overclocker with 20 years of experience feels while underclocking ;)

One thing for sure: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe has a voltage drop on CPU and RAM. So if you guys want prime stable machine and don't want to lose your warranty just underclock the RAM.

To Corsair team here: if you have M2N-SLI Deluxe in your labs please test my statement on the voltage drop (with a voltage meter) and make everyone know. I believe you have one because I have Corsair's logo on my motherboard's box (see the attached picture - lower/right corner). People trust you for good reason and I hope you read this.

201135344_M2N-SLIDeluxeCorsairXMS2.thumb.jpg.8a7175ef988f46b2933cdb1fe393af53.jpg

• Corsair Employees

Well I don’t know when that review was done but the modules they are using in that review are from April of last year and not given by us. At that time there was no other IC on the market. However since then there have been a few other IC's available that have are able to meet that spec 800 MHz Cas 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 Volts so we moved to that part.

And the tested settings that are promised by us for any specific part# in this case 800 Mhz at Cas 4-4-4-12.

• Corsair Employees
God, I love this forum ;)

Did I say that? LOL

My X-Wife calls this forum my XXXXXXX child LOL! :eek: \

Just kidding!

I think its me she calling names LOL!

EDIT:

Follow up: I have checked and we dont have this specific MB in our lab. However, from what you have posted I would suspect a power supply problem or Bios issue with the MB. Have you talked to the MB maker?

Follow up: I have checked and we dont have this specific MB in our lab. However, from what you have posted I would suspect a power supply problem or Bios issue with the MB. Have you talked to the MB maker?

ASUS are informed of the problem but no one makes official "confession" that it exists. Virtually all M2N-SLI Deluxe owners experience this particular issue. It's not PSU related (tried 3 PSUs).

We were all waiting for the next BIOS update to fix this but nope... now I'm using extremely fresh BIOS version 0801 and no difference :(:

:laughing: my girlfriend is getting jealous of this forum... if I have any news on the subject I'll post here...

I mean the voltage drop subject! ;)

Archived