Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4D 1 Bad stick?

makmak

Hi there.....

I new to this forum but have been a purchaser of Corsair memory for many years.... thats because I never had any issues with Corsair memory!!! Good stuff there!!

But today I need to ask some advice on what to do:

I bought a set of TWIN2X2048-6400C4Dv2.1 (0652153-2) in Singapore with the distributor called Skylet on the 20th Jan 07....

I arrived back in Australia (I live there) on the 24th Jan 07 and tested out the memory and found out my computer cannot boot properly (ie. the computer keeps rebooting every 5 seconds)

So I tried each stick of ram separately.... One of the sticks works fine with no memtest errors... but the OTHER stick cant even boot properly without the computer resetting after 5 secs and making some weirded chugging sounds.... So in this situation... what is happening? do I have a Bad stick?

I found another person in this forum with a similar problem (http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=55475)

I have emailed Skylet.. but still awaiting a reply...

If they cant do anything for me since im in Australia, what is the next step?

Thanks for your time!!

Warm Regards,

mak.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the quick reply...

It would be difficault to load the default settings since i cant even get into the bios without it resetting... but i'll try with the good ram first.

..i'll let u know how it goes...

mak.

Hi RamGuy, I tried to do as you said, but with no fix... I try to load bios settings to default / optimised and set ram voltage to v2.1 with the good stick first... then I placed the bad stick in... and the problem comes again...

.... really distinctive chugging sounds when 'trying' to boot, and the computer then it reboots all of a sudden ... not even able to reach a post screen let alone entering the bios with the bad stick.

I have read the "I think I have a bad module" in your signature, so what shall I do now? Should I request a RMA? If so... Is this process going to be very long? I think my memory is still within the 7days period and maybe considered as a DOA... but its just that the reseller i bought from I have not heard from them at the moment.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

mak.

Archived