Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4D on D975XBX2 with Quad Core Extreme CPU, 1000W PSU

The_Maverick

I've finally assembled my "dream system", but am having a very consistent issue accross all operating systems that I try and load.

In a nut-shell, whenever Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 R2 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) get to the point where it's "installing windows" and "Installing Devices" the progress indicator gets about 2/3 of the way across - CPU fan revs up to the max - and the screen freezes. Trying to load Vista it completes the very first loading screen and then does the same thing.

I've tried 2 different video cards (1 a PCI the other a PCI Express) - updated the BIOS to "2431" - tried disabling multi-cores & serial & parallel & floppy & usb & NIC etc etc etc - tried RAM at 2.14 volts & RAM at 666 MHz - tried resetting BIOS - tried a different CDROM - tried a SATA HDD and an IDE.

Only clue I can find is when I put the HDD onto a working system and checked the logs (can't quite recall the name of it - something along the lines of PCISETUP.LOG) - last few items concerned it looking and installing drivers for ACPI\CPU. Almost as if none of these OSes can handle the quad core???

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I'm presently running Memtest86+ (6%, no errors so far). Oops - forgot to mention - it's 2x the above mentioned RAM (total of 4GB) - have also tried installing with 1/2 ram at a time.

Many thanks.

:[pouts:

• Corsair Employees

Please try the following settings. You can set them in your BIOS, if you have trouble locating one of the settings consult your manual or please contact the support team of your motherboard manufacturer.

DRAM Voltage (also called DDR VOLTAGE): 2.1

--------------------

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Ram Guy,

Thanks for that.

After much I've passed your instructions on to my dealer to try (I've given up on the issue after about 8 hours of trying!)

I'm thinking of changing tack here, and switching to the newly announced GA-N680SLI-DQ6 motherboard (Chipset by nVidea (same as 2x 8800 Graphics cards), Manufactured by Gigabyte (same as my 2x 8800 Graphics cards)).

What would be the ULTIMATE spare-no-expense RAM for this motherboard? Would it be TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF Modules?

Actually the 10000C5's are rated on the 680i reference. Not knowing how the Gigabyte board will react I would go with the 8888C4's as they in theory will be better at 1111 mhz with 4-4-4-12 timings then 1250 @ 5-5-5-18.

If the board does clock as high as the reference you shuold be able to run that ram at the same timings as the 10000C5, by loosening the timings.

My 6400 C3's ran at 5-4-4-10, 1300 mhz @ 5-4-4-10 on the ASUS P5N32-E SLI, for example.

Archived