Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi Continuously Reboots

65Cobra

I started assembling a new system. At this point it only consists of an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi Motherboard, Intel E6600 CPU, Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Ram Modules, EVGA GeForce 7950 GT KO Video Card, and a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W Power Supply. The Motherboard came with BIOS Version 0614 so I immediately flashed it to 0804 (I didn't realize there was Version 0910 at the time).

I am not overclocking this system nor do I plan to. I started it up last night and it seemed fine so I booted from a floppy that ran memtest86+ Vers 1.70, watched it run for about 10 minutes, then went to bed. About 4 hours later I went to check and the system was just sitting there rebooting every 5 seconds.

Most of the time I don't get a Post screen. Sometimes I can make it into the BIOS but I never know when it will suddenly reboot. Once in a while I'll get lucky and can make one or two changes to the BIOS settings, save and exit before it reboots. I tried several changes, including setting the Memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts, and timing the Memory at both 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-18 (although I don't know where the 2T Command Rate goes), but nothing seemed to help.

At one point I was in the BIOS and noticed the CPU temp was around 65 degrees Centigrade which I thought was high considering it isn't doing anything. I decided to clear the CMOS Memory while the system sat unplugged for a couple hours. It seemed stable again so I flashed the BIOS to 0910 and changed the Memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts like before. I then ran a similar Memory Diagnostic Test from Microsoft. The initial pass of (6) tests were successful, but then I pressed T for a more thorough (11) tests and within a minute the computer began to reboot repeatedly all over again.

I'm not sure what to do at this point and I don't know enough about the BIOS settings to just go in there and start changing everything. I could really use some help.

Thanks

Addendum: I did try moving the memory modules to different slots and even tried using one module at a time, but nothing made a difference.

I'm testing one of the TWIN2X2048-6400C4D Modules.

Two nights ago I ran Memtest86+ v1.70 and went to bed. It completed 22 Passes but there was one error during Pass 7. The failure was at 0001f41f4a8 - 500.9 MB, Good 0823b849, Bad 0821b849, Err-Bits 00020000.

Last night I changed the Voltage from 2.1 to 2.15 in case the motherboard wasn't furnishing enough voltage and ran the test again. Again, there was only one error in Test 6 during Pass 14. The failure was at the same address, 0001f41f4a8 - 500.9 MB, Good 7fffffff, Bad 7ffdffff, Err-Bits 00020000.

I could try other recommendations located on this forum, but since the error is showing up at the same address, wouldn't that mean the module is bad?

I'm actually going to test the other module tonight just to see what happens.

Thanks

You guys were right, it was the heatsink. All I have to say is the Intel Cooler leaves a lot to be desired. The plastic fastners that snap into the holes on the motherboard just don't have enough grip to hold the Cooler tight against the CPU because one side pulled out part way. I found a way to hold them in place temporarily, just enough for testing. That one change alone lowered the temperature of the CPU from 65 degrees to 45 degrees.

I ordered the Zalman CNPS9500 LED Cooler which has a much better method of mounting the Cooler. It will be here in two days, at which point the Intel Cooler will be history.

Thanks for the help.

Archived