Corsair Community

Bad memory?

bigbird

I have a Compaq Presario model S4210NX. It came with 256mb DDR SDRAM. I wanted to upgrade my ram so I purchased a 1gb set (2 512 cards) from newegg. I think the Corsair model number is VS1GBKIT400 or maybe its 070102400. I installed the new ram and my computer booted up fine and was running excellent until it locked up. I shut it off and removed one of the cards and the computer ran great. I shut it off and swapped the other card into the same slot, again it ran fine. I then put both cards back in but in the opposite slots that I had them in the first time and it locked up again. I also went through the swaparoo with the other slot and it worked fine. Please help me.:confused:

I did the search like you told me and the only model number that would come close is Compaq Presario S4210NX-B. My comp. is a Compaq Presario S4210NX. Does this matter? Also, since I have 2 expansion slots can I just order a 256mb stick to get me to 512mb. Since I am now ordering the right ram, the most I can afford is the 512mb stick.

• Corsair Employees

It might; the way to tell would be to see if your system meets the same spec.

Intel 2.4 Ghz CPU with Intel I845GL chipset. if so the memory spec should be the same; if its not then that may be why its not working with these module, but if you are not mixing the memory that came with your system our Value Select modules should run in this system. Did you happen to test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to make sure its just not one failing module?

Archived