Corsair Community

NO SPD info in cpu-z or everest Corsair 6400C4D v 2.1

Xtremeoc

Hey I recently purchased 2 gigs of the Corsair 6400C4D (800mhz) Version 2.1 and on first boot they worked fine,but ran @ 400 mhz 4-4-4-14 so I adjusted the voltage to the recemnonded 2.1 volts rebooted. still ran @ the same 400 mhz and timings. so I then forced the 800 mhz and the 4-4-4-12 timmings that is advertised ..runs there and no errors in memtest,but I cant go beyond that ..(promos chips not micronD9's) anyhow ..when i load everest's version of cpu-z ..it does not show any spd info .and I have the newest version of everest, also cpu-z does not show any spd info either and that is the newest version ..even memtest 86 wont show the speed or timings (from what i understand it is suppost to).Question is are the eprom chips devoid of the SPD info ? been building computers for 3 years now .never had this come up ..also every single build has been with Corsair RAM ..pleas dont let me down

OK ram guy let me ask you this the 8500 (1066MHz) are Micron D9's correct ? what would the price difference be if i swapped them out .actually since I bought Dominator RAM speciffacly for overclocking and they wont because of the promos chips why dont you let me swap my 6400C4D's for the 8500 that use the micron D9's for the price of my reabate I have comming (the price difference is 10.00 on newegg my rebate is for 20.00 let me swap them out ..sound fair?

• Corsair Employee

1. False advertising

Answer: Where have we stated we use Micron IC's please show me a link?

No were have we promised we used any specific IC on any module or part. When we first started making XM2S6400 we did use Micron, but only because there was no other DDR2 IC on the market, and we have always said that if you want to over clock you should go with XM2S-8500C5 or XM2S8888C4.

2. Cosair makes money off me the consumer (Customer is always right)

Answer:

Yes you are right with in reason but it’s not realistic to buy a module at one speed grade and expect to get that module to perform and a higher grade, if you do its just luck, if you want a faster module you have to buy a faster part. Sorry but that's just common sense.

3. Have Corsair call me I sent in the RMA request and have not heard back yet ..I would like to hear from a Corsair rep on the phone please

Answer:

RMA requests take about 24-48 Hours to process and its been about one day, I would expect you will get a response by the days end, if not please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 Ext "0"

Protect Components While You Push Performance

Pushing performance specs generates heat, and that can compromise reliability and component life. The advanced cooling ability of Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) heat sinks keeps your memory safe and reliable even as you push it to the limit. Under the name XMS2 DOMINATOR, this DHX technology will be showing up on both Corsair parts designed for extreme overclocking and on memory designed for performance computing and gaming.

Why Performance DDR2 Memory Must Have Superior Heat Dissipation

Heat is the enemy of your computer's key components. Heat will slow down your system and impact long term reliability. And the more you tweak components for performance, the more heat is generated. With traditional DDR2 memory the standard method of chip packaging involves a BGA (Ball Grid Array). In a BGA, small balls of solder, organized as a grid, are the leads that connect the device to the module circuit board. The innovative first path is through the leads of the BGA chips into the printed circuit board (PCB). When BGA devices are soldered on to a memory module, an all-metal thermal path is created from the surface of the RAM to the copper ground plane of the PCB. This thermal path provides very efficient heat removal. In fact, a study by Micron Semiconductor (application note TN-00-08) indicated that well over half of the heat generated by a memory module is removed in this manner.

Corsair's Unique Dual-path Heat Xchange (DHX) Solves the Problem

Corsair's engineers have developed a unique design that maximizes heat dissipation, even in the most extremely overclocked DDR2 module. The results of recent benchmarks speak for themselves: A DOMINATOR heat sink assembly, using DHX technology and the addition of the Airflow fan, allowed a Corsair module to reach reliable performance at PC8888 or 1111MHz at CAS 4 settings.

This above text is on the Corsair web site ..just click on your hompage Ram guy click on Domanitor ad at top .and read .so yea false advertising

Highlghted in red ...I cant do this ..it only runs @ 400 mhz 4-4-4-15 and when I force the 800 and 4-4-4-12 timmings ..basically Corsair has told the whole computing world these Modules are capable of going above and beyond (why I bought them ..) Why I have use Corsair in every single build for me personaly and my Customers ..oh about 150 builds per year ..so i guess if that is the stance your going to take Ram guy ..I guess I can let you and Corsair see my back side ..and go with another company .

• Corsair Employee

That statement is quoting the performance from specific part #

TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF XMS2-8888 2048MB 4-4-4-12 2X240DIMM Yes EPP, SLI Certified

I have pointed this out to our marketing and asked if they can make it clearer, but I would have to insist that is the reason for the speed ratings on the modules by part#.

I realize what you are saying ..but that is not how it reads .It reads the DHX and airflow fan allowed a module to reach PC 8888 (1111 MHz) speeds so makes it sound like Domanitor Modules will achive this speed ..really with the micron d9's it will 211 mhz increase with looser timings lets say 5-5-5-15 or 5-5-5-5-16 is not too much ..my old xms pro ram will do that easialy now AM i overclocking ..no not atm ..but if i left my CPU @ stock speeds 1066x9 = 2.4 mhz and my ram ran @ 1000 or 1066 ..that is a 1 to 1 ratio ..perfect ..cant ask for anything better ..but i can only run in CPU0MAX 800 mhz 4-4-4-12 ..unstable .errors in memtest ..run @ 600 mhz 4-4-4-12 ..stable .well lets say im a little dissaponted in the performance .and the markting ploy ..even the tomshardware review (main reason i bought the 800) said they got 1066mhz outta the 6400C4D ..wow ..well saw a pic .in the review .and the part number ..and the revision ..and what do you know ..MICRON D9's ..no wonder ..they OCd it to 1066 ..ram guy do you understand my fustration ..I only buy Corsair ..nver had any other ram ..I read a review ..check the corsair site .and wow this domaniator stuff is rocking..man well im sold .and now can even get rated speeds, not to metion that these modules dont give me any spd info ..fustrating ..

• Corsair Employee

Well there is not a lot I can do except say that I am sorry you feel you were mislead. But that was not the intent I assure you. And the review on Toms Hardware was written more then 4 months ago as I remember and we never sent modules to them that I know of. Look at that article and see when it was wrote I think you see it was delayed a few months from when it was posted to add more to the confusion.

When you say they will not show SPD information can you tell me the application and version you are using?

If the SPD was blank with an Intel platform MB it will not post, the SPD has to be there.

• Corsair Employee

That's maybe their software issue I am not sure yet but I will check into it ASAP.

In the mean time please call me tomorrow morning at 800-205-7657 and ask for Ram Guy I will be happy to help you persoanlly get this resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I sent my 6400c4D's in like you instructed, and they were recived on Tuesday of this week ..talked to Marisol .on wensday and she said it will go out today should ahve it by this friday ..no luck, called her on Friday ..and she said she would get it out so i would ahve it monday ..and she was going to e mail me the tracking number ..no E-mail as of yet, Im a little worried (posting this from my dad's house ..I left a voice mail for you and Marisol ..jsut trying to cover the bases ..if you could please give me a call she should have my phone number, thx Ram guy!

They did ..I will do what we disscussed on the phone, tommorw ;): ..now thes modules posted as ddr2 800 .@ 1.8 volts ..i was confussed ..so I upped the volts to 2.1 and posted 1067 5-7-7-24:confused: so do i need to up the volts to the 2.2 and then force the 5-5-5-15 ? I assume that will work ..and no im not enabling SLI ready im looking for a 1:1 ratio .so i gotta change my fsb to match (QDR) 533MHZ x 6 = 3.19 mhz or x 5 ..or under clock the ram to 900 mhz ...450 dram+fsb tighter timmings ..I will call tommorw any how and give ya the tracking number ;):

Archived