Corsair Community

Bad 620HX?

jthor1

Specs, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, AMD 5200+ (89w), Corsair XMS 240 DDR2, 2x1GB. Corsair HX620 PSU. WD raptor 150GB HD. evga 7950 GT KO Video card and two optical (DVD) drives. I put this system together, installed windows, ran Prime95 and Sandra software for over 20 hours burn-in. No problems or errors. I shut the machine off, pack it up deliver it to the customer, nothing. When I flipped the toggle switch on the power supply all of the fans (PSU, case fans and video card fan) spin for 3 seconds and then shut off to never come back on once the power switch on the case is pressed. I thought it was a bad PSU. I replaced it with a known good supply from my computer, Enermax 535W. Same thing. I reset the CMOS, same results. I reassembled the motherboard outside of the case with the video card, cpu and ram. Same results. I have tried without the video card and RAM installed, same results. I RMA'd the motherboard and CPU since I didn't know which was bad and I can put the PSU in another machine and it boots it up. I noticed the whole time the Standby light on the motherboard was on.

I received the new MB and CPU, after reinstalling the new Motherboard and CPU I proceeded to do the burn-in process again. One and a half days later I pack up the system and deliver it to the customer, all is well. Two days later he calls me and says it is doing the same thing. I am now suspecting the PSU and suggesting that the customer RMA the PSU, CPU and motherboard. I have read that ASUS recommends 600W PSU for a "full configuration." What are they considering a full configuration? Two video cards or just a "complete computer system?" That seems awfully high. I am asking; I am way off base on diagnosis or has the PSU has just wiped out two motherboards now? Remember, I am not even pressing the power button on the case, this is just flipping the power switch on the PSU to "on."

Jeff

Yes. When I flip the toggle switch on the back of the PSU, the lights and fans come on for a second or two and then off. I then press the power switch on the case and nothing happens. This happens after a lengthy (20-24 hours) burn-in process. I have already RMA'd the MB, CPU and PSU to Newegg. I think it is strange that the PSU can be replaced by another known working PSU with the same results, and when the 620 PSU is tested in another machine it is fine. I am wondering if some sort of surge is being released by the 620 PSU. Remember that these results have happened twice with a brand new MB and CPU.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Corsair Employee
Jeff, what happens when you short the pins out on the MB where the power switch plugs in? And that is normal with many MB's when they change state from power off to power Off in standby. They will come one for a sec and then go right off.

Nothing happens. I had rebuilt the system (MB, RAM, CPU and VIDEO) outside of the case thinking it was a short. I have seen the standby light come on but never fans and lights before... interesting. I learn something new every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived