Corsair Community

pls recommend for GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6

vois2

I want to buy the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 board and I desire to overclock the CPU and memory.

I am concerned about the high rate of failure of the Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 series modules.

Please recommend me some Corsair memory modules of speed DDR2-800 which would fit my design. In case you are wondering, the NewEgg product reviews for the following two product numbers are what have me concerned, regarding failure rates: -6400 (CA4) & -6400 (CA5)

Thank you.

I have worked with many sets of DDR2-800Mhz Corsair. High Rate of Failure? I disagree. I would go with the Corsari 6400C4's. I have not experience any failures with these modules, however, many motherboards do have issues with high end DRAM that needs higher than JEDEC standard voltages.

DerekT --

Apparently you have edited your response from the original, which was:

Dear vois2,

DerekT has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - pls recommend for GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 - in the Compatibility Questions forum of The House of Help Support Forums.

This thread is located at:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57015&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

I have worked with many sets of DDR2-800Mhz Corsair. High Rate of Failure? I disagree. Where are you compiling your statistics? Where is your validation of such a statement?

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,

The House of Help Support Forums

Nonetheless, my concerns expressed in my original, unedited forum post (above), do mention that my source for the concerns was the NewEgg product reviews (by customers).

I've read about the voltage issue, and I plan to doublecheck again here once I have that information. Thanks.

vois2, just curious where your getting the numbers off "high rate of failure" from. As i can see the lowest rated ones from Newegg reviews are 4 stars TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and TWIN2X2048-6400C4D. All the others are 5 star. I believe these modules review were hurt from users misinterpretation of the the Micron/Promos IC issue. I use the C4 Domintator and 100% satisfied.

By the way I have the TWIN2X2048-6400C4D on a MSI K9A at 4-4-4-12@864MZH 2.1v. Also able to run at 5-5-5-12@980MHZ. Stable

vois2, just curious where your getting the numbers off "high rate of failure" from. As i can see the lowest rated ones from Newegg reviews are 4 stars TWIN2X2048-6400C4 and TWIN2X2048-6400C4D. All the others are 5 star.

Legend --

Perhaps I made a mistake in actually reading the forum post content?? The following are quotes from the 15 most recent NewEgg reviews -- with many 2- and 3-egg ratings among them, I might add. (In fact there are five 2 eggs, and seven 3 egg ratings, in these first 15 reviews.)

Below is straight from the NewEgg TWIN2X2048-6400C4 reviews page. -6400(C4) is what I specifically mentioned in my original post, as well as mentioning there that my concerns were from the NewEgg reviews on that product line:

(quotes from reviews below...)

1) one of the two stick is dead after 3 week. Failed memtest and crashed my computer

2) One stick of a matched pair failed within days of install.

3) getting flaky Memtest errors when run overnight.

4) Quality control process was faulty at Corsair and a bad batch of product got through & a lot of customers got burned -- there are no winners when this happens. Let's hope this serves as a wake up call.

5) you're bound to get a lemon at some point

6) WILL NOT RUN AT 4-4-4-12 AND 2.1V. I ran memtest and got something like 3341 errors scrolling down the screen and just stopped. With the latest bios and everything running at stock speeds, this is absolutely unacceptable for garbage ram, let alone pricey ram.

7) Ok ram, until they fail. They have received my modules over 2 working days ago, and did not ship the replacement yet

8) Will not run at the advertised DRAM timing of 4-4-4-12.

9) worked perfectly for a while. i had the same problem as the guy a few reviews earlier, but as i figured out a little while later one of the sticks was broken. : this is going to sound obvious, but this ram is good if it doesn't break. a lot of people have had problems with dead sticks.

10) After 2 weeks one stick failed, seems this is becoming a trend with this ram. Ran psu checks everything and my voltages were all fine and steady at 2.1volts. Corsair needs to take a look at their Quality Control department.

11) 1 out of 3 pairs actually worked at "stock" settings. First set I got had a DOA stick, ordered a new set instead of waiting for RMA - new set never passed the memtest.

12) You know...I read the reviews. I thought to myself 'oh, that won't happen to me. I am careful with stuff. There won't be a dead stick...' Guess what guys...I got a dead stick. It seems to happen a lot.

My post was edited as I saw that you had posted a reference. Therefore there was no reason for me to request where you found the sources.

I work with Corsair DRAM exclusively and have not found the issues to be that marked. In two years of building systems, I have found 3 RMA operations.

All were completed to my satisfaction. Thus, as I said, I have not found high rates of returns.

Customer Reviews

Product reviews on NCIX.com are not pre-screened and may not contain accurate information about the product. If there is a discrepancy, please use the Report this Review link located beneath each review. Reviews are not an endorsement expressed by NCIX.com, but opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make purchasing decisions based on facts or opinions expressed in these reviews.

Rated by Lisa_B, January 11, 2007

I'm pleased with this RAM; it worked on my Asus P5W DH board right away, though I had to enter the BIOS to change the settings as it was being SPD autodected as PC5300 with 5-5-5-15 timings. Still boots fine with manual adjustments. » READ MORE

Rated by rglenn1, January 7, 2007

This RAM was easy to install and worked without a glitch from the very start, it is good value RAM and will overclock (not that I have tried it out yet). They do make some better RAM that uses the MICRON IC's but you will pay quite a bit more. » READ MORE

Rated by Gianni_C, January 2, 2007

I installed it on an EVGA 680i motherboard. The pair works flawlessly at stock speed and it is recognized by spd. » READ MORE

Rated by Jacques_B, December 29, 2006

Running at stock speed (DDR 800). Works flawlessly on an Asus P5B (Intel 965 chipset) board with a c2d processor. » READ MORE

Rated by John_M, December 12, 2006

solid product, Works really good with my core 2 duo motherboard, Asus p5B Deluxe. The heat spreders are nice, and thick. Best ram I have ever used and a great ram for overclocking and gaming. » READ MORE

Rated by Mortician, October 18, 2006

I changed my old memory (ocz rev2 plat. pc 3200 1024mo) to this one and this is fantastic ! I recommend this ram to everybody. The timming are sweet and it's a good overclocker too. » READ MORE

Rated by eric_w, October 7, 2006

this ram is eacy to overclock, all automatic when put with the nvidia 590 chipset, got it runnin set at 4-4-4-12 with AMD FX-62 overclocked to 3.18 ghz with the zalman CNPS9500, ASUS N2N32-sli deluxe/WiFi Solo, 150gb raptor, 740gb baracuda, 200gb ultra, evga 7950 gx2 in a logisys clear acrilic case with 3 fans, all i did to adjust the ram with this mobo is to turn on the epp usage item in the bios, very impresive

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18580&vpn=TWIN2X2048-6400C4&manufacture=CORSAIR#CustomerReviews

I use to run the Technical Support Department 5 years ago at a Top 3 online retailer for computer components(won't mention name). Back in the days when the retailers tested piece by piece if the parts are defective or not to charge the 15% restocking fee. The more business we had, the more returns we had. Based on the number of reviews in the past two weeks 37(18.5 per week) vs the previous 24 weeks 162(6.7 per week) you would imagine that sales tripled. I would assume the average user to have a tendency to definitely post a bad review if you have a negavite incident vs maybe posting a good review or not even post a review if you have no problems at all. Therefore I would go for the overall review EGGS of 4 stars.

I want to buy the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 board and I desire to overclock the CPU and memory.

I am concerned about the high rate of failure of the Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 series modules.

Please recommend me some Corsair memory modules of speed DDR2-800 which would fit my design. In case you are wondering, the NewEgg product reviews for the following two product numbers are what have me concerned, regarding failure rates: -6400 (CA4) & -6400 (CA5)

Thank you.

I just ordered a GA-965P-DQ6. I also ordered the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 , in part because it was on the compatible list from Gigabyte and also Nvidia SLI approved if I ever change platforms . I also read the reviews on Newegg, too. This one made the decision for me:

Good if they dont Fail

Pros: Fast memory worked well with my evga 680i sli mobo, right out of the box at 4-4-4-12 timings.

Cons: After 2 weeks one stick failed, seems this is becoming a trend with this ram. Ran psu checks everything and my voltages were all fine and steady at 2.1volts. Corsair needs to take a look at their Quality Control department.

----------------

Manufacturer Response:January 18, 2007. Newegg has brought to our attention the number of complaints about DOA modules. This is an extremely unusual situation for us since we pride ourselves on manufacturing high quality modules. This afternoon at our request, Newegg shipped its entire inventory of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 modules back to Corsair for evaluation. We have replaced these parts with specially screened replacements, and we are 100% confident that these parts contain zero defects. While we investigate this issue, we are instituting an additional 100% stress test immediately prior to shipment to Newegg.

Nobody is perfect, but we try very, very hard to be just that. And the entire team here at Corsair is 100% committed to supplying the highest quality RAM in the world. Our sincere apologies to anyone who received a defective module.

Best regards,

John Kruse, Corsair Tech Support Manager

ramguy@corsairmemory.com

Yeah, there have been failures. More than comparable memory from other brands? Perhaps. Still, this kind of manufacturer response is very impressive to me. I know I'm not going to be stuck with bad memory because they respond to their customers. XXXXXXXXX was my second choice for models on the approved list, but I don't know anything about their support, the price was higher, no heatsink and unspecified timings.

Kudos to Corsair. I'll let ya know if there are any issues with the specially screened stock;-)

• Corsair Employees

Well for the record, we got back 800 parts from New egg and we found 10 that failed our production test, and another 10 were marginal but passed testing; in the interim we have also seen some new MB's that seem to be more sensitive with memory than other MB's, some MB makers have recently released bios to address this as its happening across the board. But I also have to point out that our return rate is still less that 1% of the units we have sold so even thou there are several people having problems the percentage is still quite small, and I am not convinced its not some other issues complicating this; IE some maybe user error, some maybe are MB or PSU related and yes I agree some have a bad or failing module. But it’s a small percentage of what we sell and no matter how hard we try there will always be few failing module's that will get thru our screening process.

However, we take pride in our products was and is one of the reasons I joined this company almost four years ago as well as I really think we make some of the best products in the market we sell in. And I for one as well as our tech support team will be happy to change any one’s modules even if we don’t think the memory is the problem.

Archived