Corsair Community

Problem with the memory?

levian

Hello, I'll try to give as much information as possible.

Here's some of my system specs :

(I have to admit that this is my first time building a computer and that I'm still a beginner...)

1. Operating System - Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

2. Motherboard - Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe NVIDIA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard

3. Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.40GHz

4. RAM - Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 Memory (2 x 1024MB) Memory Speed 533MHz --- (VS1GB533D2)

5. Video card - XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme Edition / 256MB GDDR3

6. Harddrive - Seagate 320GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

When I finally managed to install everything I was pretty happy. But, I wanted to make sure if everything was ok. That is when I encountered a problem...

I could watch videos, listen to musics, go on the internet, etc.

But I would get an error each time I tried to install/play a game:

Lets start with this one (I tried to install WoW):

During the installation of the first disc of World of Warcraft, everything was going fine, until a few minutes later...

-"Sorry the installation failed. An error was detected while verifying the contents of the files "C\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\Speech.MPQ"

I read the stickies in their forums. It suggests going to Microsoft website and perform a memory scan. Unfortunately, when I tried to save an image (.iso) for the CD for the scan, an error appeared saying something about low memory.

I decided to try to install another game (Age of Empires III) to see if the problem persists. The installation went fine, but when I tried to play the game, I received this error :

"Memory system error, unable to allocate memory, size 1666186736"

And finally, I also tried to install yet another game (Battlefield 2142) .. The installation couldn't even start.

I'm guessing that if I try to install any software, I might encounter the same problem.

I asked some friend what was wrong, and he told me that the problem is caused by my RAMs. He said that my RAMs memory speed was 533MHz and that I'd need RAMs with a speed of atleast 800MHz for this motherboard (m2n-sli deluxe)

But from what I read, my rams are supposed to be compatible..

- Note : I updated the BIOS to the latest version from ASUS website.

I also tried to set the voltage of the ddr2 to 2.1V like some people suggested.

In the BIOS, everything is pretty much set to auto.

I also used memtest86.. Here is the result : http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n153/levian05/errors.jpg

Over 3 million errors, and the test didn't finish.. Hmm..

I also used Windows Memory Diagnostic (from microsoft website)

It indicated that my rams had errors too.

Are my RAMs bad/defective? and should I buy RAMs with memory speed of 800MHz? (though it's pretty expensive... but worth it if it works)

Thank you, I hope you can solve this problem because I'm about to give up...

(Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to include as much information as possible)

Just a little update...

This was the memory I bought : VS2GBKIT533D2

So I saw an old post somewhere on this forum.. It suggests testing 1 module at a time... So I said to myself... Why not? Since I had no more ideas...

Removed one, tried to install some game,,.. Received an error immediately.

Then I proceed to test the other one.

Tried to install the game.... and it worked.... no errors.. However, I didn't yet play the game ... Will do it soon.

Apparently, I had a defective module. Looks like I'm left with 1GB ram :(

Right now, I would like to know if I can just buy another single VS1GB533D2 (1 GB) and replace it with my defective module.

I bought the VS2GBKIT533D2 (2 x 1GB) before, but I was wondering if there was a difference between them?

Thank you

You should have no problem with that DRAM. You do not need 800Mhz DRAM for that board.

Please enter your BIOS and set the "Legacy USB" to disabled and retest the sticks singly.

If you still get errors you might want to post in the RMA section.

I found the problem. There was a defective stick.

But I would like to know if I can just buy another single VS1GB533D2 (1 GB) and replace it with my defective one.

I bought the VS2GBKIT533D2 (2 x 1GB) before, but I was wondering if there was a difference between them?

Sorry if this was already asked before... :[pouts:

Thank you

Archived