Corsair Community

Save me the Agony..

SwampFox

I am about to build a new system without limitations for the amount to invest.

I thought I would ask for the correct combinations of motherboard/ram to save me the agony. In the end I'm looking for the motherboard/RAM combination that meets below specs and runs stable. It will be a photo editing station, using primarily Photoshop and related apps. I will not be overclocking.

The system must support 4GB RAM minimum....DDR2

It must be able to support 30" LCD monitors (SLi?) requires two cards.

(I would forgo SLi if the technology to support it is unstable and use a single port 26").

Here are the only components I've settled on:

1. CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model

2. PSU Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

3. Not sure about a case but thought: Thermaltake MozartTx VE1000SWA Silver Aluminum Cube Tower Computer Case

4. 1 TB SATAII 2 internal

5. I will have a 5 bay external SATAII port muliplier system (3TB)...eSATA which I have already chosen. Probably RAID 5

If you are looking to use RAID and want onboard firewire, then I would personally go with the ASUS P5B-Deluxe. If you are not concerned with these two issues, then I would personally choose the Gigabyte 965P-DS3.

Keep in mind that populating four slots on any motherboard will necessitate your dropping the memory bandwidth one bin below JEDEC standards. So if you have >= 800Mhz DDR2, you would very likely need to drop the DRAM throughput to 667Mhz.

I personally would look at the Corsair 620HX for your power needs. It is simply a marvelous power suppy. It is one of the quietest power supplies I have used, it has an excellent load and I game as well as fold :)

Thank you DerekT for your informed reply. Your information will be helpful indeed. I looked at the 2 MOBO's you suggested, and have decided on the ASUS P5B-Deluxe. This MOBO has an onboard eSata port. The external 5 bay storage unit connects via eSata and this board will save me from having to use an eSata card. Thanks for your recommendation..

I will look at the Corsair 620HX , I' m not stuck on any particular PSU, yet I did feel the 3 seperate 12v rails on the Antec may be beneficial, but I don't know how I would actual use them??????

So it seems to get down to memory for the Asus P5B Deluxe. As many have stated the 800Mhz stuff doesn't seem to like the reduction to a lower Mhz, so for this MOB, should I get 4 sticks of Corsair 667 or 533??. 2 sets of TwinX?

Thanks again for you input....much appreciated

Jimmie

If you are looking to use RAID and want onboard firewire, then I would personally go with the ASUS P5B-Deluxe. If you are not concerned with these two issues, then I would personally choose the Gigabyte 965P-DS3.

Keep in mind that populating four slots on any motherboard will necessitate your dropping the memory bandwidth one bin below JEDEC standards. So if you have >= 800Mhz DDR2, you would very likely need to drop the DRAM throughput to 667Mhz.

I personally would look at the Corsair 620HX for your power needs. It is simply a marvelous power suppy. It is one of the quietest power supplies I have used, it has an excellent load and I game as well as fold :)

Archived