Corsair Community

Problems with CM2X1024-5400C4

mole1012000

Hey,

I have had this 2gb xms5400 kit for about 1month from new but 5days ago i was playing some counter strike source and the Setup BSOD`d on me. So i thought fine pain but reboot. Then it stopped posting.

At that point there werent any power spikes or anything out of the norm. So i unplugged every but the standard: cpu,ram and motherboard. Still wont post. So i take out 1 stick and try still no post then i took that one out and put the other 1 left out of the kit back in. This time posted. So i wasnt happy that one of the sticks had died but at the sametime happy to have my system back. So boot back into windows another BSOD. So i get out my copy of "ultimate boot cd" and run memtest 86+ sure enough mem errors.

As this all seemed out of place i decided it could be the motherboard at the time the gigabyte 945p s3. I was never a fan of gigabyte and decided it was the board. So i ordered a msi 965p neo f. It came and i got the same results. At the point as you can image i am not too happy.

So a friend had my back and let me borrow a 1gb kit (2x512mb) 667mhz. Sure enough on both boards it booted. Keep in mind this is standard generic ram not thing special there and i ran memtest 86+ on both for 1 hour no issues.

The system is now fully working and i decided to keep the msi board in but the orginal setup worked as well with the different ram. The errors with the 1 corsair stick came up within seconds of the memtest start.

Also to fill in any is caps: the gigabyte was the newest bios i could update to and the same goes with the Newer msi board.

Now i would be happy if you could find a solution for the issue, as i am based in the United Kingdom and rma might be a big pain in the back side but i am not sure what is possible with a non posting stick.

Matt

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hmmm ok but i believed i answered most of what your response in tails.

1 stick wont post and the other has errors.

1. So stick one i tried in another motherboard still dead. So cant really memtest something that doesnt post.

2. Stick 2 i have tried just about every bios setting going and update. Even brought another board in the hope of a fix.

3. I now have a working setup with another make of ram, so this provides some in site into the issue. On the same setup as tested with the corsair.

Your post had a automated feel to it as i answered most of what you replied with. If not i am sorry i felt this was the case.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ram guy, i looked over the rma instructions as i have sent them to you from the uk. (hope they are ok)

But anyways i found that it said i needed to include a copy of the rma address sheet, i didnt by mistake and my phone number. The package has my return address and name on the front properly but i managed to miss the above. Will this be a major issue

Also is there any news that you have got the ram case number #61892

Thank you for any help in advance.

Matt

Archived