Corsair Community

Adequate power supply?

Remonsterado

So I've got an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo and Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 ram and a Thermaltake 500W power supply. When I power on everything comes on for about 5 seconds then it just kills itself. Blank screen the entire time. It won't boot.

Is my power suppy lacking or could I have gotten 2 dead sticks of ram? Funny thing is my first mobo and ram combo weren't compatible with my processor (my mistake) now the new ones aren't working. Any suggestions?

Yes, its a completely new install. I mean, how can you put in a cpu wrong? It its not in, its not in. And yes, the fan is correctly installed. I have put in cpu's before and never had a problem so I'm thinking that's not it.

I am however going to be rechecking all of my work. I had a friend help with most of the cords and connections as far as the various case attachments, so those are the few I'm not sure on. I also can't remember if we tried all the possible ram choices with alternating or taking out sticks and such, we were getting frustrated towards the end. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated though.

Yes, its a completely new install. I mean, how can you put in a cpu wrong? It its not in, its not in. And yes, the fan is correctly installed. I have put in cpu's before and never had a problem so I'm thinking that's not it.

I meant the heatsink/fan assembly. Excuse my wording. Is the heatsink/fan installed correctly? These LGA 775 fan assemblies are notorious for not seating correctly as the pins need to be pressed in quite hard.

I have also seen this happen with the CPU fan header inserted into the Power Supply fan header.

It is possible to put them in wrong. Had a friend who'd installed his FX rotated ninety degrees off, so cpu pin number 1 wasn't in pin hole 1 of the socket.

I'm thinking its practically impossible to get any cpu "in" wrong. If the pins aren't in right, its not "in".

Just an update, haven't messed with it yet. I'm thinking I'll be taking it all out and resetting it.

• Corsair Employees
It would be unlikely that both modules are bad. I would suggest you to test the modules one at a time in the same slot. If one works and the other fails, then we will need to replace them both for you; however, if both errors out on you, then that would suggest other problem.

Archived