Corsair Community

Tested bad RAM sticks.

Maysamo

I have 4 sticks of Corsair RAM, (2) 1 Gig sticks and (2) 512 MB sticks. Less than a year ago I had a RAM problem and ended up sending one stick in and got it replaced, which was great. Last week I began having troubles running programs (games) on my PC and began crashing my system with BSOD crashes, all of which reported "machine_check_exception" error messages. Also in the message was "***STOP: 0x0000009C, etc" (i have the full numbers reported if needed). Upon researching this error I learned this code was due to a hardware problem. I immediately began testing my RAM with Memtest and received errors instantly. I then began testing my 4 sticks of RAM individually the first time, getting no errors on my 1 GB sticks, no errors on 1 512 MB stick initially, and after two BSOD crashes upon booting to windows for the final stick I was able to finally load into windows and test the last stick error free. All tests were ran for 4 hrs. I then tested all 4 RAM sticks again, receiving errors instantly. I then tested each stick individually again and received errors on my 512 MB sticks, again tests were done for 4 hrs, except for the errored sticks which stopped the tests upon receiving the error (was done while I was at work, unknown on the actual time it occurred). Have been running my system for a week now with only my (2) 1 GB sticks in the MB and have not had a problem. Would like assistance to do further testing if necessary, but believe I have (2) 512 MB sticks that have gone bad and would like replacement again. The 512 MB sticks are Corsair Value Select VS512MB400C3 RAM, both have original stickers on them still. If more information from sticker is needed, please advise. Thank you.

Ok, well I'm confused then because I have put all the numbers that is on the label in this post. According to the link you gave me the numbers below contain the information you seek? So the serial number for both sticks is 0502046-0 and the lot # for one is 012838 and the other is 012738, as my RAM is labled like the one pictured 2nd up from the bottom. At the bottom of my first post I wrote that on both sticks of RAM it says they are VS512MB400C3....if none of this is the "part number" I will need more help on locating them please.

• Corsair Employees

Yes I seen that you had said you had VS512MB400C3, but what is the part number of the other modules you said you had 4 and two of them at 2-1.0 Gig modules. So you are mixing memory from what I am reading and that is hit and miss, please try the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing, have you done that? I did not read that in your first post sorry but it’s a bit long and hard to follow.

Bottom line:

Please load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test them one set at a time and if you get errors test them one at a time to find if you have one failing module or not. If they pass then there may be some loading issue and you may have to run the memory at DDR333 or DDR266 with 4 modules installed.

Ok, I apologize I guess I thought you were only interested in the part numbers for all the RAM that I was having problems with, not all 4 sticks of my RAM...good or bad. I'm currently at work and will get those for you when I get home.

My next series of questions is: how do I change these settings you are speaking of please? And the follow up question to that is: I've been using these 4 sticks together since last spring/summer with no problem until recently. If something is wrong settings-wise and they are not compatible together, why have they run fine for so long when I have not changed any settings recently? Not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand. Sorry that my first post was confusing, but yes I have tested the RAM all together and individually....several times. The problems I had that led me to believe the two sticks of 512 MB is stated in the first post. I did not change any settings for these tests, however.

• Corsair Employees

Ok to be clear let's take this one step at a time! This can be complicated with 4 modules.

First step did you test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org? And did you get errrors with the 512 Meg modules and not with the 1.0 Gig modules?

If so that might suggest another issue. but to be sure I would test them one at a time but load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts and test them again. Also please make sure they are running at the correct settings C3 part's should be at Cas 3-3-3-8.

Yes, I tested all four modules individually with memtest. Yes, I only got errors on the 512 MB ones, never on my 1 Gig ones. However I ran many tests on each individually and although I only got errors on 512's, I didn't get errors everytime I tested the 512's. All tests were run at least 4 hrs, some longer as I let it run over night while I slept.

The latter portion of your msg is latin to me, I don't know how to change those settings...much less even know what you are talking about. I'm assuming you are talking about BIOS settings, but I haven't played around with RAM settings in BIOS before. I have done BIOS things for stuff such as boot sequence, GPU settings, boot up stuff, etc. so I think I could get through it with a tiny bit of walk through if that's required for me to continue to get service for this problem. Thanks for your time once again.

• Corsair Employees

Maysamo,

First thing take your time OK we will help you.

Let’s make this easy, for now just get the latest version of http://www.memtest.org Ver 1.70 and make the disk if you have not done so already.

Then with just the 2 512 Meg modules installed go to your bios setup and load setup defaults. If you do not know please check the user manual that came with your MB or contact the MB maker, they made the MB they will know what to do, or they should!

Second then go to Frequency and Voltage control under the advanced menu and set the memory voltage to 2.75 Volts. Then exit saving changes and let the system boot from the memtest disk and run 2-3 passes.

In memtest it will tell you the settings it’s running the modules at.

This is also assuming that you are using a channel MB, and please note that with some MB's you have to disable legacy USB in the Bios.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my situation. I have attempted to use the memtest v. 1.70 as instructed, unfortunately my A: (floppy) drive isn't working, either that or the 20+ 3.5 floppies I've used are bad, and I'm unable to make the disk to use the program. I have a version of memtest that says it's v. 3.50 that opens a small window and lets you start the test. This is the one that I used when I posted for this problem and one I've used in the past to troubleshoot my machine. I have tried of several weeks now to try and get something going for this disk so that I can test it as you want, but it just isn't working out. I guess I'm just upset because I've been getting the errors as explained using a version of memtest, which should be good enough since it has been in the past when I had another bad stick of RAM from Corsair. Here is a link so it can be known what I'm referring to: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51377

The bottom line is I have problems with either of these sticks of 512MB sticks of Corsair RAM in my system, I have tested both on several occassions and encountered errors. I remove them from the system and I've been running for weeks fine without them. All evidence points to RAM. I've been running my current setup since receiving the replaced stick of RAM from the above mentioned post without incident until now, I don't see how this can be a setting issue with nothing has changed. I would like to get the sticks of RAM I've purchased from Corsair returned and exchanged as per your lifetime guarantee please. Is this something that can be done?

Respectively and thankfully submitted...

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking in again. I see you posted on 02/21/07 and said you would be calling. I don't recall ever receiving a phone call, or a voicemail letting me know I missed it if I did. I'm pretty good with keeping my phone either on me or within earshot. I will be home on 03/05/07 and 03/06/07 all day. Again, after Noon is best to reach me due to my sleep schedule. Please consider trying me again, I'm eager to get my system back to 3 GIG's of RAM. Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
You cannot mix memory with this MB, that is the issue, please call our tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will be happy to help you. Or send the email again as we would have called you that day and left message if there was no answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize, this has been going on for some time and I may be getting confused but I can't find where I supplied any information about what my motherboard is so I'm just wondering how this is known to be the problem now? Also, I did not receive any message left in my voicemail so if that is standard operating procedure, perhaps the call was somehow not actually made.

I will call the support number you provided to get this resolved I guess. I'm very confused how this has all come to play out when I ran problem free with all the RAM for quite sometime and I haven't been saying anything different in this entire thread, now the problem has been resolved to a mixing of RAM? It's all corsair RAM. I really don't mean this to sound argumentative, I'm just severly frustrated as it feels I'm getting blown off. I had no problem with your company on previous business when a bad stick was found and replaced, the hoops (and months) I've had to spend on getting service again has been quite aggravating.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm close to Salt Lake City Utah.....I'm in the USA...?? I send you an email already with all this information...a few posts above you said "I got it if your name is Larry and I will call you this after noon, but I would suggest you be in front of your system". What's the deal?

Archived