Corsair Community

Blue Screen: Stop 0x0000008E, win32k.sys errors

MBW

Corsair 1GB TwinX matched pair, used for 1 year trouble-free in ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB with AMD 2.2GHz processor. Last week I started getting Blue Screens Of Death occasionally, with POST message saying "failed memory test". Later it wouldn't completely boot at all - started to load Windows, then immediate blue screen. Then I replaced the Corsair memory with my old brand?? 2x 256MB sticks, and now everything is working fine. Seems like the Corsair memory went bad. What should I do to replace the Corsair sticks?

Modules part #: XMS3202v5.2 lot# 0543081-0

BIOS settings: All are default, not overclocked, as far as I know, as follows:

The items marked "x" are greyed out in the BIOS settings and I cannot change them, even though they don't match the stated parameters of the XMS modeules I have.

CPU External: [200MHz]

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: [Auto]

x CPU Multiple: [11.0x]

System Performance: [Optimal]

CPU Interface: [Optimal]

Resulting frequency: [Auto]

x Memory timings: [Optimal]

x SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: [8]

x SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: [3]

x SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: [3]

x SDRAM CAS Latency: [3T]

Other: Power Supply is Antec 450W

Processor is AMD 2.2GHz.

Note: Yesterday I submitted a request for RMA for my case 60697, but have not yet received return delivery instructions.

Thanks,

MBW

• Corsair Employees

With the modules in slots 2-3 please maks esure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set these settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

I made the BIOS changes you recommended and ran Memtest. One memory module had no errors in memory slots 1 & 2, and 36 errors in test 8 in memory slot 3 in one pass, and 6 errors in test 8 slot 3 when I ran it a second time. The other memory module had over 177,000 errors spread over all tests in both slots 2 & 3. I have received an RMA# and will be returning the modules today for replacement.

By the way, my ASUS manual says I should install modules in any combination in slots 1 & 3, or 2 & 3, or 1,2 & 3. It seems to imply that slot 3 should always be filled. Is that so, or can the modules go anywhere? Slot#1 is black, and slots 2 & 3 are blue. What's the reason?

Thanks for your help with this.

MBW

• Corsair Employees

Errors in test 5-8 might suggest some other problem, and when its only one module it should be in slot one or two.

With two modules I would put them in slots 2-3.

And the CPU you have is it a true 3200+ or are you over clocking?

For normal operation I had the TwinX modules installed in slots 2 & 3, but my ASUS mb frequently gave "Failed memory test" voice messages on bootup. Although on restart, it would then pass the POST test. Then a couple of weeks ago the POST errors increased until one day the computer would not boot up at all.

When I followed your insructions on testing the modules with memtest, I did as you suggested and tested each individually in each separate slot, one at a time. The one module did OK in all slots (except 36 errors in slot 3), but the second module, when tested on its own, had thousands of errors in any slot I tried it in. Therefore I concluded that module must have failed a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why, I hadn't changed anything.

My processor is an AMD 2.2GHZ, true speed, no overclocking.

Thanks,

MBW

• Corsair Employees

A 2200+ CPU would be running at 133 Mhz by default and if your MB is showing its a 2200 MHz CPU and not a 3200+ then its not a true 3200+ and may be why you are getting errors. I would check the number on the top of the CPU to be sure what you have.

And if you are over clocking a slower CPU that may cause these type of errors as well. Can you test the modules in another system?

Archived