Corsair Community

Bad RAM module, would like to use the warranty

sto7

Hello,

I think my Corsair RAM fails. First, Windows XP Pro SP2 doesn't boot up correctly, it shows me instead an error blue screen.

Then I tried it with MemTest86+, which showed me numerous errors.

You can find my system specs in my profile, and my BIOS settings are:

FSB: 200MHz, latencies: 2-2-2-5, memory frequency: 200MHz, memory voltage: 2.7V.

Do I have a problem with my RAM modules? If so, do I need to return them?

Thank you in advance,

Sto

Hum... Is it an automatic reply? :p:

I told my BIOS setting concerning memory in the first post. :roll:

Which settings do you need exactly? I will try to post them this evening (I live in France), because for now, I am at work and may not remember what you will ask.

Concerning the CPU, I think the multiplicator is set to 10 or 10.5, and the CPU voltage is set to default setting, but I need to verify tonight.

Cordially,

Sto

• Corsair Employees

With the CPU you had listed the settings should look something like this!

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

I know the CPU is slightly overclocked, but it has been working well for 3 years with these settings.

As the RAM modules are PC3200, and the association works better when RAM modules and CPU have the same base frequency (the FSB one), I decided to keep a 200MHz FSB, and to cool down the CPU with a good cooling system, which works very well.

Concerning the DIMM voltage, I didn't know I had to put it so high, but I will do it.

Last but not least, you advise me to set SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) to 3T, but I remember those RAM modules where specified to be "XTreme Low Latency", that can run at 2-2-2-5, maybe I am wrong, but it worked very well during 2 years.

[EDIT]I found the product description on my vendor's website. It tells the constructor has tested the modules to work at 2-2-2-5 at 2.75V (so I'd better put 2.8V than 2.7V :o: ).

I will try MemTest86+ with these settings, and post the results here.

Thank you again!

Sto

• Corsair Employees
This chipset was suspect and many MB's with this chipset would just not run with the Ras to Cas set to "2", testing the modules at their tested settings one at a time will show if you have a failing module. But if you get errors with both modules I would suspect that your CPU or MB is maybe just getting tired of the O.C. and testing the modules in another system would be prudent.

Archived