Corsair Community

VS 1 Gig Kit, faulty replacements.

mihai914

It became a long story so please bear with me.

Over a year ago, I purchased though NCIX.com, a VS 1 Gig kit DDR 400. Upon receipt, I installed the memory in my system and it booted up fine. I didn't have any issues until I tried to run some games, and that's when they (the games) started crashing.

I decided to run Memtest, and I received errors on one of the modules. I wanted to make sure that my system wasn't at fault so I tested the modules in my older PC system and received even more errors with Memtest.

I contacted RMA, they were very helpful and issued me a RMA#, I sent the modules back and received two individual VS512MB400. Upon opening one of the packages on one of the modules, the small square chip (upper right) fell off!

I was quite surprised but proceeded to install the modules in my system. I ran Memtest and didn't get any errors. I was still worried about the fallen chip, so I contacted the same person at tech support and she immediately gave me another RMA#.

Again I received two separate VS512s, first things first, I tested it with Memtest and was getting errors again on both systems. Same problem as the first time, system runs fine but crashes when playing games.

To be sure that both my systems were not the problem, I lent the memory to a friend who tried it in his nForce based system, and he was getting crashes also.

I honestly don't know what to do, had I known, I would of kept the first replacement with the fallen chip. I played with the Bios and set it to SPD, CPU clock speed always stock...

Can I finally get some proper working memory or do I have to move up to a better quality module? What's my next step since I'm tired of sending and receiving memory.

Also, what's the deal with the 1 Gig kit if the replacements are individual modules?

Mihai

Here are the specs of my systems:

AthlonXP 3200+ 400Mhz Bus

MSI KT6V-LSR

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB

Antec Power supply.

Seagate 80 gig Sata Hard Drive

LG 4163B DVD-RW

Athlon XP 2000+ 133 Mhz Bus

MSI K7T266 Pro2 (6380)

Powercolor Radeon 9000 64MB

Antec Power supply.