Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2PT v5.2 + Lanparty SLI-DR Expert

Kessaku

I purchased 2 Twinx1024-3200C2 kits so that I could run a 2GB setup. Upon putting the memory in and running memtest86 I get 2 errors at the same addresses each time. This is also the case with the Microsoft memory test program. The Addresses are listed below:

Microsoft RAM test:

0a8d8148 errors in the LRAND and Stride6 tests

Memtest86 1.65+:

0000a8d8448(@168.5MB)

0000a8d8568(@168.5MB)

0000b8d8428(@184.5MB)

0000b8d8548(@184.5MB)

All of this occurs at the end of test 5.

Fearing I may have bad RAM I returned both kits for new ones the next day. However I get the same error with the new sticks. I attempted to run a mismatched pair with 1GB of the new Corsair and 1GB of XXXXXXXXX HyperX and this setup produced no memory errors whatsoever! But the mismatched memory pair is not acceptable to me (mismatched RAM sinks and the fact that there is a problem I'm unable to solve). The Corsair/XXXXXXXXX combo will run at CAS2 just fine.

So in an attempt to solve the issue with all 4 sticks of Corsair I have manually set timings as noted in these forums, let the board detect timings. I have raised the voltage, lowered the speed of the RAM to 333 MHz, set latencies higher, the whole nine.

I have used the following timings' range:

2-3-3-6@2.8V to 3-4-4-10@2.8V and 333Mhz

I have also looked for USB legacy support option in the BIOS as I noticed an NF4 Asus (or Abit) board had issues with that. There was no option for USB legacy spport but I did disable USB Keyboard and Mouse support and one other USB option that I can't remember that seemed to possibly be legacy related but the same problem still persists.

I have been running the XXXXXXXXX/Corsair combo for awhile but recently decided to attempt to tackle this again after updating my BIOS. I have begun to get the random BSOD's/crashes typically associated with RAM issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your two kits of Corsair need to be the same revision number. If they are not, then the problem could be the newer revision kit is using different ram chips on the dimms. The HyperX kit you used with the Corsair kit worked probably because the HyperX dimms have the same ram chips on them as the Corsair kit you used with them has. It is hard to get 4 sticks of ram to be stable in Athlon 64 systems. If you want 2Gb ram, I would suggest returning the two 1024 kits you bought and buy a 2Gb matched kit. That way you will be able to run the ram at 400MHz 1T command rate and your system will be way more stable. The Athlon 64 internal memory controller has some limitations when trying to address 4 sticks (8 banks) of ram. If you insist on using 4 sticks of ram, either keep using one Corsair kit with the HyperX kit as it seems to work for you. Otherwise you will need to hunt around to try to find another Corsair kit that is the same revision as one of your existing Corsair kits. IMHO spend the $275.00 us for the Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2 kit and if you can't return the other memory, sell it on EBay. In the long run you will end up less bald from pulling your hair out trying to get 4 sticks to work and be stable. Good Luck!

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time and then one set at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't mention it originally but I have previously tested all sticks singularly and in a 1GB 2 stick configuration and the problems vanish. It's only when running all 4 sticks of Corsair do I get issues. The sticks themselves aren't bad.

Jonkrmr it seems as though I will have to revert to the mismatched RAM config b/c I am truly frustrated with this problem for which there seems to be no solution. I was hoping to get some ideas as to why other than stuff I have already mentioned (BIOS update, timings, etc.) that I clearly posted I tried. Seemed like the other post was more of an automated message.:mad: The memory addressing issues on AMD's memory controller had been corrected with the Venice core and subsequent chips so I was hoping for something I had overlooked. This seems to purely be an issue with 4 sticks of Corsair + this board.

As much as I hate doing it, being a that I receive a paycheck for fixings these, I guess it is time to just chalk one more engineering mystery up on the board.:[pouts:

Under the range of settings I mentioned above, it is the same errors at the same places. Windows is also displaying erratic behavior attributed to flaky RAM (reboots, BSOD's, system hangs).

I know the RAM is good. No doubt in my mind on that one. What is this boards equivalent of USB legacy support? Perhaps the USB options I mentioned disabling previously had nothing to do with legacy support. The BIOS does not have a verbatim entry for 'USB Legacy Support'.

Please be sure that you have set your DRAM throughput to 333Mhz and set your Command Per Clock (CPC) in your DRAM section to 2T. Leave your timings loose at 3-3-3-8 and your DRAM Vcore (Voltage Control) to 2.8v.

Save settings and reboot. If this works, then run memtest and if you are clean with memtest, set your timings back to 2-3-3-6 if the both sets are matched to this timing. Test again with memtest.

How does this work?

I'm a bit confused Derek. Is this method you are suggesting a way of clearing the RAM attempt or forcing the bad data out of sorts?

I greatly appreciate any help offered but I'm not to keen on the idea of re-running tests I have already done and stated I have already done just to get the same results that I have already posted. As a technician myself I understand the need to double check the obvious steps but all the things being double checked are things I posted that I did already.

As far as the CPC, all tests mentioned in the first post were at 2T.

• Corsair Employees
Or if you just want to replace the modules I have no problem with that, but if you continue to have these errors I would suggest trying some of the things specifically mentioned in this thread, But if the modules are set to DDR333 I would set the timing to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.8 Volts and the fact that all of the modules passed one or two would suggest to me its some other problem, Power or MB related would be my first thought from what you have posted.

Derek, you're right. I didn't mention the 2T timing prior to your post. What I said was that all the tests that I mentioned in the first post, were run at 2T. Not that I already mentioned the 2T timing. Thanks for the heads upon the new Memtest. I'll give it a shot. But even if they test good there, that won't cure the Windows instabilities I noticed.:[pouts:

Gentlemen you must forgive my frustration but I HAVE done everything that has been suggested, it's ALL listed in the first post, except I failed to mention initially that CRC was set at 2T.

I have run timings as fast as 2-3-3-6@400MHz@2.8VDIMM to as slow as 3-3-3-10@333MHz@2.8VDIMM and many combinations in between

Prior to this board I ran an ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe and when I got these errors, I swapped it out for another, then received them again and got a Lanparty so this is the 3rd board. I also replaced the power supply at this time and got the NeoHE 550.

As a matter of fact one of RAM GUY's posts about the ASUS board is what got me clued in to the USB Legacy 'fix'. I also noted in another post about something with a DFI board with the same chipset not liking the Corsair RAM in banks 1 and 3 (yellow slots) so maybe that is it? It just seems like no matter what way I turn it points to unexplainable flaw in the combination of this board+this RAM. I know stuff like this happens but that doesn't make it any less annoying. Perhaps it is a USB Legacy issue since I got the same errors on each board, but the Lanparty doesn't have a USB Legacy support option like the ASUS board did? That is reaching pretty far out there but could this be possible?:eek:

Archived