Corsair Community

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Recommendations, please?

Markhawks

Hello Memory Gurus,

I recently purchased an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA mobo with an Intel Core2 Duo E6300 processor. I am working fine with my old DDR 400 memory (Corsair XMS of course). I want to now upgrade to DDR2, and all the ASRock web site and manual recommend is "DDR2 667or 533". Thanks.

THe Crucial Configurator recommended either:

- the DDR2-667 kit, running at 2.2V with 3-3-3-12 timing or

- the DDR2-800 kit, running at 1.8V and CL=5.

Please help a memory Newbie understand a couple things.

1- Will either voltage work? Does voltage matter to me?

2- I plan on doing some "slight overclocking"- should I buy the DDR2-800 for extra speed?

3- My mobo supports Dual Channel memory- are all Corsair DDR2 module pais Dual Channel?

thanks in advance,

Mark

Will either voltage work? Does voltage matter to me?

It is dependent on your motherboards proclivity towards overvolting or undervolting the DRAM. I would set to 2.1v and test with Memtest from http://www.memtest.org. If no errors occur, then I would drop to 2.0v and retest. Then 1.9v. If no errors occur at 1.9v then I would leave the DRAM voltage at 1.9v.

I plan on doing some "slight overclocking"- should I buy the DDR2-800 for extra speed?

With an E6300, you have a 266MHz FSB that is quad pumped to 1066MHz. Your CPU Multiplier is 7, so 266 X 7 = ~1.86GHz which is your CPU speed. With 667MHz DRAM, you have the ability to overclock the E6300 to 333 X 7 = ~2.331 and possibly higher if your memory can go higher than 667MHz and Corsair is known to go higher. Very likely you can take the 667MHz (BUT NOT GUARANTEED) to 800MHz which gives you 400 X 7 = 3.2GHz.

My mobo supports Dual Channel memory- are all Corsair DDR2 module pais Dual Channel?

All Kits are Dual channel supported.

Archived