Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-9136C5D with STRIKER OK at 2GB, fails at 4GB

Joboo87_1

I have 4 sticks of 9136C5D installed on an ASUS Striker Extreme. When all 4 sticks are installed, the Window Memory test fails with WMATS+, WINVC and Stride6 errors. If I remove two of the sticks, the tests pass. If I replace the installed 2 with the other 2, the tests pass, so I don't believe the issue is the RAM itself.

The issues only occur if all 4 are installed together.

I'm not overclocking and have all settings at the factory default except for the Legacy USB support (off).

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Usually one needs to lower the bandwidth when populating all four banks. Remove two sticks, set your DRAM bandwidth to 667Mhz. Reinsert the two sticks and startup.

Do the issues remain? What is your Vdimm set to? You should be able to overclock the DRAM to higher settings but let us first see if we can gain stability on the four sticks.

Making the change to 667 MHz allowed the tests to pass. The VDIMM is set to "Auto".

Why is it that the memory is rated to 1142 MHz, but I can only run it stably at roughly half of that speed?

Any other suggestions on running stably, but faster?

Thanks.

The problem is not the DRAM. The problem is that motherboard chipsets and BIOS's are NOT optimized for a population of all four banks.

Sadly this is the case with all motherboard's and BIOS's. Only a few cases are shown where some mention having the ability to run the DRAM at the higher settings. These cases are NOT documented however.

Now you can try to overclock the DRAM and set it higher. Sadly, with 4GB you might well not be able to achieve the higher throughput though. Set your Vdimm to 2.1v and see if you can raise the FSB and thus raise your DRAM incrementally. Is your CPU:DRAM linked or unlinked?

This is why most Enthusiasts do not move to 4GB. It makes no sense to buy high end dram and then choke the life out of it by moving to 4GB.

Research of this would have shown you this to be the case though.

I'm thinking I should return the extra 2GB...

That would very likely end your issues and Windows can only really access 3 of the 4GB at any rate.

Considering the need for greater than 2GB at this time is minimal on normal desktop applications and games, you will do better (In My Opinion) with 2GB and high bandwidth throughput than you will with far lower settings and the extra sticks.

Archived