Corsair Community

Twin2x2048 6400PRO and EVGA 680i SLI problem

padseeyew

Hello,

I have an EVGA 680i SLI mb (EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR) and cannot get the system to post correctly with the 6400PRO sticks. I have sticks of Twin2x2048 6400C4s that had a bad pair waiting to be RMA'd (memtest errors on only one stick), however this pair boots fine and I can switch BIOS settings with it. Tried at the rated 5-5-5-12 1.9V settings with SLI disabled, also tried at 1.8, 2.0 and 2.1V as well to make sure. Nothing I can find on the forums, all it does is give the C1 error and long beep. Tried loading defaults on BIOS and reset CMOS with jumper, and still doesnt load. Really driving me nuts, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to say that both sticks don't work, and getting 3 bad total sticks sounds really nearly impossible to me (since I had the bad 6400C4 stick as well), so I really think this might be a MB settings issue.

Unfortunately there are a lot of users posting about 680i problems all over the Internet. Now we are finding that hardware reviewers are writing articles, and conjecturing there may be a hardware flaw in the chipset. It has always been the case that users with problems post on forums, and it is also the case that when a new motherboard comes out that works flawlessly, you don't see a whole lot written about it.

I have been advising those wishing to purchase a Core 2 system, that they stay with Intel chipsets for Intel CPU's if they want the least possible chances of errors. All hardware has errors but at this time Nvidia chipsets for Intel CPU's are more problematic than their Intel chipsets for Intel CPU brethren. One just has to go to ASUS and EVGA forums for their 680i to see the reality to which I speak.

I do know the Intel 965 didn't have all the issues of non-workability and has been seen to as proficient a chipset with regards to performance as the 680i without all the integrity questions.

I suggest an RMA to EVGA. Better yet, a return to the vendor and an i965 chipset motherboard will deal with this issue very easily.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you ever get this working? I have the same mobo & RAM, and a strange problem where the sticks of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO RAM posts differently. With both in, I get a 1d error, with one of the sticks I get a C1, with only the other stick I get a 1d. I have an RMA # from Corsair, but I'm wondering if this is really the problem...

• 4 weeks later...
I seem to be having a similar issue, I have 4 modules of the 6400 RAM. My newly put together PC was crashing regularly so I ran memtest and found one module was constantly bringing up errors. I sent the pair back to NewEgg but the PC is still crashing from time to time. I ran memtest again tonight and am now getting an error from the remaining modules. Could the motherboard be stuffed? Should I get another one that has the intel chipset you mentioned?

Well another strange twist to my tale - I ran memtest86+ again this morning on the two modules together and by themselves and have not had any errors come up. I have no idea how one error came up last night but nothing now. I did switch which slots the modules were sitting in during my testing so maybe the motherboard or mem slots are at fault. I'll give the voltage change a shot as well.

I did have the RAM voltage on Auto but after reading some things changed it to 1.9.

Archived