Corsair Community

Asus A8V & 2 x TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (i.e. 2Gig) & AMD64 3500+

Gazzeroo

I need help. What is up with my PC (if anything) ?

Here's the deal... My PC has been working well for a good year or so, recently I have been getting BSOD and things like Firefox crash all the time. A fresh install of XP would probably help but the BSOD kept me thinking that maybe I was having memory problems.

After reading a lot of info on these forums I prepared myself for the exhausting task of looking at the RAM, but my results have just confused me.

I've updated the BIOS on my Asus A8V mobo to v1017. Downloaded memtest+ thingy, and run it from the floppy.

I have 2 lots of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory modules, bought as pairs from Overclockers (I think) at different times. This should mean i have 2 Gig of RAM.

A8V only allows single mem modules in slot 3. (results below)

1st pair of modules in slots 1 and 3 (the blue slots).

and then the other pair in the black slots 2 and 4.

My test results are as follows :

1st pair of modules from this point on are known as A1 and A2, second pair are B1 and B2.

Single module (in slot 3) - All 4 modules pass no errors.

Paired modules (in slots 1 and 3) - Both pairs either way round pass.

All 4 modules in their different positions return the following:

S1 S2 S3 S4

-- -- -- --

A1 B1 A2 B2 - Failed errors Test 5

A1 B2 A2 B1 - Failed errors Test 5

B1 A1 B2 A2 - Success

B1 A2 B2 A1 - Success

A2 B1 A1 B2 - Failed errors Test 5

A2 B2 A1 B1 - Failed errors Test 5

B2 A1 B1 A2 - Failed errors Test 5

B2 A2 B1 A1 - Failed errors Test 5

Maybe now you can see why I am confused. Can anyone tell me what is wrong from that ?? Is it my RAM, my CPU, my mobo ???

These are my BIOS Settings for the Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, can anyone spot anything wrong with these ??

Memclock [Limit]

Memclock to CPU Ratio [2:1 (DDR 400)]

Software Memory Hole [Disabled]

Bank Interleaving [Auto]

Burst Length [8 Beats]

MCT Timing [Manual]

CAS Latency [2.0]

TRAS [Auto]

TRP [Auto]

TRCD [2 CLK]

TRRD [Auto]

TRC [Auto]

TRFC [Auto]

TRWT [Auto]

TWCL [Auto]

TWR [Auto]

Sync Lat [Auto]

Read Preamble [Auto]

2T Command [Auto]

Master ECC Enable [Disabled] - Should I enable this ?

And as a result of reading some stuff on these forums I set the DDR Voltage to 2.8v (as I understand the RAM voltage for these modules should be 2.75v - which isnt possible on this Mobo).

My apologies for the length of this post, but I thought I would give as much info has possible.

Any ideas/advice etc ?? :confused:

• Corsair Employees
The CPU you have will be the determining factor on weaather you can run at DDR400 with 4 modules or not. Please run CPU-Z and make sure that you have an E6 Core CPU other DDR333 would be suggested. In addition, if the modules will run and pass http://www.memtest.org one up or one set at a time I would suggest relaxing the settings, to like Cas 2.5-3-3-7 since you have 4 modules installed.

Thanks for replying RAM GUY.

I've checked CPU-Z and it says Stepping 0 for my CPU (See pic - if it posts). I'm guessing that means I dont have an E6 Core (that is the first time I have even heard anyone mention the E6 Core :confused: )

Anyway, if what you say is correct and I should try DDR333 or the reduced timings, then does that mean that my RAM (and therefore my PC) will run slower ?

Shame if it does, as this machine has been stable for quite a while. I am about to do a fresh install of XP anyway to see if it sorts out some other issues I am having.

For future reference (as I intend to build a new machine late this year) would I have been better off with 2 x 1GB sticks ?

Cheers.

CPUZ.JPG.7a56a8a4c619a25661906dec0be50cd0.JPG

• Corsair Employees

The revision of your CPU is DH8-DO so yes you should set the memory frequency at DDR333. You can try it at DDR400 but it may not run properly.

To make sure you dont have a failing module I would suggest testing them one module at a time to be sure at their tested settings.

Archived