Corsair Community

Memory or Motherboard Problem?

azzwan

My PC recently stopped booting. I am not getting anything at all not even bios just a black screen of death. The motherboard is making a continuous slow beeping sound which according to the manual suggests a DRAM error. I have experienced the same beeping in the past and re-seating the memory sticks has always fixed the problem however it is not working this time. I can't remeber the last time when it happened whether the bios flashed up or not?

I have checked and re-seated all other cords and cards but the problem persists. Does this sound like the memory has failed or something on the motherboard?

My system specs:

GA-K8NSNXP Mother Board

AMD 64bit 3200 CPU

1GB Corsair TWINX CMX512-3200XL

RADEON 9800XT

120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HD

200GB Western Digital Caviar SATA HD

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

• Corsair Employees
Please try the modules one at a time and see if it will post with just one of the modules if so one may have failed, but if it will not post with either module I would suggest testing them in another system to be sure!

I have cleared the CMOS and tried re-booting with individual modules but the problem still remains.

Just as a background to this problem the black screen of death and the persistant slow beeping noise from the motherboard only started after I tried booting my system using it's backup bios. The reason I did that was the system was failing to load into windows. It was even failing to load into safe mode it kept getting stuck halfway through loading the system drivers.

I will see if any of my mates at work have a system that my ram modules will fit into and I'll give them a try on a working system like you suggested.

Thanks for the reply

AJ

• Corsair Employees
If the system will not post with either module one up that would suggest some other problem as it would bee close to impossible that both modules would fail at the same time. Please do let me know, I have no problem replacing your modules but what you have posted would suggest there is maybe some other issue and testing them in another MB would be helpful.

I now know that the memory is not the problem. I got a mate to test it in his MB and it worked with no problems. With what I have told you do you think that it could be anything else apart from MB problem

I have posted my problem to the Gigabyte support line hopefully they may be able to give me some answers.

Anyway thanks again for your help and I will recommend Corsair to all my mates from now on.

Cheers AJ:cool:

I posted my problem to the gigabyte support line once I found out that it wasn't the ram and this is what their response was:

Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, several possibilities might cause the problems, such as something wrong with memory, motherboard, or others. We suggest that you could try to do a simple test first and make sure there is no short circuit on the system:

Remove everything from motherboard (such as add-on cards, devices, etc.,), then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.

2) Remove the power cord from MB.

3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 10 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)

4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.

5) Connect power cord to MB again and turn on power.

6) Press F1 to enter BIOS and load fail-safe defaults setting.

7) Save changes and reboot the system.

After that, if BIOS can POST, please load BIOS fail-safe setting and test in a simple environment by only putting CPU, memory, VGA card and power to observe the result. If there’s nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

If there’s something wrong, it should be with the motherboard, and we suggest that you contact your retailer/supplier. Warranty and RMA issues are normally arranged by your supplier. The warranty terms are dependent on your sale of contract and are what ever your supplier sold you. Please kindly contact your supplier and they shall follow a standard RMA procedure and send the board to the local distributor for RMA service for you.

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

******** Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products ***********

I did everything that they said to do and low and behold the bloody thing worked! I think maybe when I first tried to reset the CMOS I didn't leave the battery out long enough. The gigabyte manual that I have states that you only need to leave the battery out for 30 sec.

Anyway removing all the cards gave me a good chance to get in and clean everthing out. It's amazing how much dust builds up in those places that you don't normally get to see.

Thanks again for all your help

AJ

Archived