Corsair Community

Question about Gigabyte MB and Corsair XMS2-5400

Fimbultul

Hi.

This Christmas i received some nice new hardware to upgrade my comp.

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

Processor:

intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Memory:

Corsair XMS2-5400 TWIN2X1024-5400C4 2x512MB

The problem i have is that that the computer locks up after a few minutes of runtime, or within a minute of running memtest, i don't get any error, the screen just freezes.

I've tried loosening the timings on the memory, upping the Voltage to 2.1, moving the memory around in different slots, using only one stick at a time, disconnecting everything but mem, cpu, videocard, dvd and running memtest in dos. same result, freezes after anything from a few seconds up to 2 minutes.

The only time the computer doesn't freeze is if i under clock the memory to 533MHz and choose to not run it in Dual channel, then memtest runs just fine, no errors, no freezes.

I thought these sticks would work with this card, is this just a fluke or have i missed something obvious? Would greatly appreciate any input on the problem.

Test one stick at at a time and if both test out fine, then test the pair of them in Dual Channel mode.

Do not set any overclocks. All at stock settings please. You might have a motherboard issue and in which case an RMA will just take your time and you will have the same issues. Do you have another system to test this DRAM in?

I have tried the sticks one at a time, in all available slots, if i run them at the stock settings (667MHz 4-4-4-12), i get a freeze and have to to a hard reboot, if i underclock them to 533 the system works fine no matter witch slot i use them in.

haven't got another system to try them in, my old one only uses regular ddr memory. :(

haven't got another system to try them in, my old one only uses regular ddr memory. :(

RamGuy will give you an RMA. It is too bad that you are not able to test this DRAM in another machine because you might have a motherboard specific issue and in which case the new DRAM will have the same issues.

• Corsair Employees

Does that happen with either module when testing them one at a time? If so I would supect some other problem and I would encourage you to test them in another MB or system if you can; but I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that!

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

Ok, i managed to get a hold of two Dominator memory modules today, Corsair xms2 6400C4D. I get pretty much the exact same error, i have to run them in single channel and downclock them all the way to 533MHz to avoid a system freeze. I'm going to assume the Gigabyte board is the culprit, not the memory. Will call the retailer and ask for a replacement board.

Thanks for the help.

Archived