Corsair Community

Bad stick of TWIN2X2048-6400C4?

Wufbam

Some new toys just arrived from Newegg, but I think I received a bad stick of RAM.

First off, the system specs...

Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (BIOS 1707)

Intel Core2Duo E6600 processor

2GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 memory

Corsair HX620W power supply

Part/Revision/Lot #'s on the memory are CM2X1024-6400C4 XMS6404v2.1 0649114-0. I'm guessing those are PROMOS ICs.

I tried several video cards, ranging from an ancient ATI Mach 64 to a GeForce 8800 GTX. I used the latter for most tests--the others I mostly plugged in to make sure it wasn't the video card's fault.

I ran Memtest86+ (1.65) off of a USB DVD drive. I left "Legacy USB" enabled to boot off the Memtest CD. I disconnected the hard drives for most of those tests.

Windows XP Pro lives on a 150GB WD Raptor. All the drivers are up to date.

One of the sticks works fine at its rated settings. Tested on its own, it survived hours of Memtest, Orthos, and various benchmark suites without complaints.

However, when the other stick is installed, either alone or paired with its twin, the system rarely makes it past POST without hanging. Even if it does, it will crash while loading Windows or lock up shortly after starting Memtest. Only twice did I make it into Windows with both sticks installed. (The RAM was set at DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1V on one run and 1.95V on the other.) In both cases, it ran tests for about half an hour and then crashed. Rebooting with the same settings failed to reproduce even those brief periods of stability--actually loading Windows felt more like winning the lotto than the result of careful tweaking.

The problem appears regardless of settings--I tried numerous speed/timing/voltage combinations, and even underclocking with the most relaxed settings failed. The system runs too cool for overheating to be a factor. If anything, it's more sensitive to which slot I fill with the problem DIMM (both incidences of stability occurred when it was in the second bank, and it always hangs at POST in the third and fourth; the good DIMM is happy anywhere).

So...

Did I just get a bad stick? Memtest hasn't reported any actual errors with the problem DIMM--it locks up before getting that far. Could anything else produce these symptoms?

Thanks.

Do I need to send you both sticks or just the bad one? The PC appears content to run with the good module in single channel mode for now (with only a small performance hit).

If I need to replace the set, it might be faster/easier to go through Newegg instead.

Thanks.

Archived