Corsair Community

Help! Flashed the wrong SPD data!

TheMatrix

Hello-

I have a set of TWIN2X1024-8500. When I checked my SPD settings via RMMA, I noticed weird problems similar to those documented here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1129333

I figured my DIMMs were affected by the faulty SPD writer, and flashed my RAM with the files contained in the ZIP provided by RedBeard...then I realized that's not my model! Now the computer won't boot for obvious reasons. I feel like an idiot because I confused the 8500C5 I just installed for a friend a few days ago, with my 8500.

If I get a temporary DIMM to boot up with, change the settings in the BIOS to manual, then install the two DIMMs, can I reflash the SPD if someone like RedBeard supplies the data?

I'm aware I also voided my warranty, but I don't care about that so long as I can get things up again.

If not, can Corsair reflash it via RMA (for a fee of course)?

Thanks!

I've been dealing with computers my whole life, and never done something as stupid as this. :/

-TM

• Corsair Employees

All of our XM2S-8500 modules should be able to use that SPD. But if you can get the system to post I would try and reflash them and if it still will not post then please reset the MB bios and see if it will post.

If that does not work or it still will not post we can try and replace/repair them, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

I'm glad to hear it's still under warranty at least.

The computer won't POST with any combination of those DIMMS, but will with some spare DDR2 I had on hand. And yes, I tried resetting my BIOS (many times actually).

Unless you can suggest anything else, I'll have to RMA them.

Thanks for your input! :)

-TM

• Corsair Employees
Once you get the RMA# or if you don’t get a reply in 24-48 hours please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 Ext "0" and ask them. Normally no we do not offer that service but they might if you use the system for commercial use.

Archived