Corsair Community

Corsair CMX512PRO 184DIMM PC4000 x2Modules

3toedsloth

Hi All,

First post-Need advice please.

Got two modules of the above 2nd hand for my sons pc(they are actaully different from what i ordered)-he has exactly the same spec as my pc(see signature).Now before i send them back,i thought i may get away with this?

I've given them a try-as they are DDR500.I have put the speed to auto in his bios.In my manual it mentions that it will take ddr500,and mentions this is overclocking spec,but ok.It seams to run fine as this,but am i missing some extra overclocking going AUTO?(speed is set by SPD).I'm not fully upto speed on the overclocking bit, and dont wish to corrupt anything-hence auto.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted-thanks in advance.

P.s.-i checked in the corsair compats. but it doesnt mention this ram?

CPU: Pentium P4 3.4E Prescott (800FSb) Processor- HT Enabled-Skt 478

MOTHERBOARD: MSI 865PE Neo2 PFISR-FSB=800

HARD DRIVES: 2 X DiamondMax Plus9 80GB UDMA133 8mb Cache hard drives

RAM: Corsair 2 GB DDR XMS3200XL Pro TwinX matched Pairs (4x512) Latency=2-2-2-5

GRAPHICS CARD: GAINWARD BLISS 7800 GS 512MB AGP-Nvidia Drivers 91.31

POWER SUPPLY: Antec NeoPower 480 Watt ATX 12v v2.0 PSU 30A@+3.3v, 38A@+5v, 18A@+12v1, 15A+12v2, 460W Max

MONITOR: NEC MultiSync 20WGX’2 Native Resolution 1680x1050 @60 Hz

• Corsair Employees
I am not clear one something, Are you replacing the 4 512 Meg modules? And I would not suggest XMS for any OEM system. As these modules both have minimum voltage requirements and the OEM system may not offer that setting.

Hi Ram Guy,

To clarify-the system spec you see are mine (with 4 modules ddr400)-

The ram modules ddr500(x2 512mb-PC4000)that im wondering about are now in my sons pc who has the same spec.as my pc-apart from the ram of course.

The voltge does go to 3v in the bios(though it does turn red-a not recommended colour).I have set it at 2.8v(yellow colour-high performance)for the time being.

Hope this makes things a little clearer-was also wondering should i run them at 3-4-4-8?

Added FYI-actual details printed on ram-

CMX512-4000PRO XMS4000v3.1 0437063-0

XMS4000 512MB 500MHz 3448

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards-

Geoff

Hi DerekT,

The system isnt overclocked no,but unfortunately the DRAM frequency only goes down to 266 -i take it i dont set it at the 500 figure then?

Apologies for being an amateur,but me asking the obvious is the only way for it to 'set home' in my mind the logic.

Thanks for your help-Btw if its of any help the CPU ratio is locked and the cpu bus clock is set to 200(800fsb)-I know we are dealing with the ram,but i fear this may be of significance to your thoughts on progress?

Regards-Geoff

Hi DerekT

Yes i have 500,but when i select this it puts the cpu bus clock to 250 and doesnt boot-probably because of the pentium 4 prescotts setting to 200 default for 800FSB?,or am i on the wrong track here?

Also need to add-when i say it doesnt boot-it just shows initial booting screen,and it thinks its a 3.75 Prescott(neglected to say earlier my sons is a P4 3.0GHz Prescott and not a 3.4 like mine).

One last addition-The memory i have put in for him, is for dual channel(in slots 1 and 3)but i suspect this is not a matched pair-is this ok?

(i'm trying to give you all the info i can-i maybe should have mentioned this earlier-i apologise)

thanks in anticipation.

Regards-

Geoff

• Corsair Employees
A 3.4 Presscott I really doubt will run much over 220-230 MHz unless its unlocked. You can try and lower the timings to Cas 3-3-3-8 at 2.8 Volts and see if you can get better performance at a lower clock frequency!

Your system does not allow you to raise your DRAM independently from the CPU in which case you will be stuck at the DRAM level that your overclock will allow you.

Can you set your DRAM to 400Mhz? If you overclock your CPU to 215Mhz then you have 215 X 17 = ~3.65MHz and DDR430.

Your ram is just better than the ability of your system. Your CPU has a high multiplier so you will not reach DDR500 with an overclock.

Pleased with your feedback DerekT and RamGuy-

I have learned a little more now,and will probably clock my 3.4 p4 Prescott and put the ram into my system at ddr433-good advice.

I can go that high 215+ using a utility called CoreCenter,i have a decent cooling fan as well,but will keep my eye on temps.

Might even make a bid on ebay for my son to go to 3.4 on his?

Well take care-

Happy New Year to you both and all onlookers

Archived