Corsair Community

Problems 2x256 Value Select

theEMP

Hello,

I recently recieved a pair of 2x256mb corsair value select ram as a gift. My 1st instinct with any ram is to memtest it (bad experiences with other brands in the past) and the sticks showed errors in test #2 and test #6. Timings set to 3-3-3-9 @2.5v on Nforce2 and 3-3-3-8 on Nforce3 @ 2.5v)

My next step was to try to narrow it down to one stick. Individually each stick passes memtest just fine, but when used in a pair I get memtest errors. I re-tested both sticks using 2.6v and still got the same errors. :(:

I am wondering if this pair just isn't a matched set somehow. :confused:

The labels are in place all the number on the ram are the same except the last 2 digits under the barcode. One stick shows xxxx68 and the other shows xxxx15 (not sure if it's a good idea to post the whole set of numbers here).

What can I do to resolve this issue or am I just SOL? I think I've troubleshot as much as I can...

Can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label)?

And I would try them one at a time but load setup defaults in your Bios setup and then set the memory Voltage to 2.75 Volts and see if they will pass http://www.memtest.org.

I looked at your link to the memory labels and the lot code number is the same but the serial numbers are different. (Mine looks like the 6th pic down).

I don't think my board(s) have a 2.75v option. I can do 2.7v or 2.8v. Which do you recommend?

And just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are wanting me to run the SPD values at 400(pc3200) speed, correct?

• Corsair Employee

I would like to know the exact part# of our module so I can suggest the correct settings. Example VS512MB400C3 should be set to Cas 3-3-3-8 at DDR400 and I would suggest setting them to 2.7 Volts minimum on most systems.

And just to make sure I understand you correctly, you are wanting me to run the SPD values at 400(pc3200) speed, correct?

Yes but what is the part# of the module you have?

ok stay tuned for that info shortly....

and a side question RAM GUY.... please tell me you have a hot key that for this phrase

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them or it.

If not you have to be tired of writing that all the time :laughing:

No but you need to be running a 200 FSB CPU with Nforce2 MB's or you will need to use different settings!

It does 200 fsb, as does the Nforce3 I've done my testing on. As I mentioned in my 1st post. I just didn't ramp the voltage to 2.7v because it seemed a little excessive for stock speeds. My nforce2 normally houses my XMS3202v1.1 ram but it's being used for ram testing for the time being.

I recently recieved a pair of 2x256mb corsair value select ram as a gift. My 1st instinct with any ram is to memtest it (bad experiences with other brands in the past) and the sticks showed errors in test #2 and test #6. Timings set to 3-3-3-9 @2.5v on Nforce2 and 3-3-3-8 on Nforce3 @ 2.5v)

My next step was to try to narrow it down to one stick. Individually each stick passes memtest just fine, but when used in a pair I get memtest errors. I re-tested both sticks using 2.6v and still got the same errors.

ok they passed at 3-3-3-8 on Nforce3 using 2.7v (754 no dual channel)

When used together on my Nforce2 I still get errors in test #2. (I tried single channel and dual channel configurations). Like I said before the sticks will pass individually, just not as a pair, which is how they were packaged.

Do I have any more options if I use it on my Nforce2, Ram Guy ? I don't understand why when tested individually why the sticks will pass at 2.5v no problem, but it takes 2.7v on the Nforce3 to not get them error.

What is the make and model of the MB and the CPU's default FSB?

It's an FIC AU-13 Nforce2 ultra. the CPU's default FSB is 166 but it's an unlocked cpu and it's been running 200 for quite some time now. I put it in my PC specs when I joined the forums.

Would you prefer I ramp back down to 166? What timings? and what voltage?

or do you think it's a voltage problem on the cpu side of things causing the errors?

I ran across this tidbit of info while googling around a bit:

test #1 - 4

are cpu fsb speed and or vcore related (meaning lowering fsb or increasing vcore saw errors in these tests disappear)

thanks for hangin in there with me Ram Guy

• Corsair Employee

Nforce2 chipsets were temperamental with over clocking.

It would be best to test the memory at these settings and see if its not some other issue, if you have a failing module they will fail no matter what frequency they are running at.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Then test with http://www.memtest.org, if the system pass then its likely there is some setting you might be missing when over clocking like adding a bit more voltage to the CPU, Chipset of Memory.

Archived