Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400C4 Dual-Channel Issues...

JimInVA

For computer builds using the following items:

- Mainboard: MSI K9NBPM2-FID (Memory Voltage Set @ 2.1V)

- Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+

- Power Supply: ALLIED AL-B500E 500W

- Initial Memory: CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (2GB-KIT)

- Alternate Mem: CORSAIR TWIN2X1024A-6400 (1GB-KIT)

In two different builds, each using the same model numbered items listed above, I had the following symptoms/findings:

When using the 2GB-KITs in a Dual-Channel configuration, both systems would fail to initialize. When using the same 2GB-KITs in a Single-Channel configuration, both systems worked perfectly.

In the same systems, using the 1GB-KIT [in place of the 2GB-KIT], both systems worked perfectly in either Dual-Channel or Single-Channel configurations.

This mainboard's BIOS does not allow for memory setting adjustments other than voltage. There are four memory slots on this mainboard. I would prefer to use two "matched" 1GB modules for this 2GB Dual-Channel configuration to allow for future expansion.

My question(s) - The TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is a Corsair "recommended" kit. Is this recommendation in error? If so, what should I be using instead?

If it would be helpful, I would be willing to purchase a 2GB-KIT from another memory manufacturer to determine if such change would allow for proper operation. Would this be helpful in attempting to pursue a timely resolution to the problem I've experienced?

Thank you!

Jim

[Note: I have emailed and telephoned with no response to either. Am hopeful that this forum post is your preferred method of communication and yields a better result. ;): ]

• Corsair Employee

If you sent and email or phoned over the weekend that may be why you did not get a reply but it takes 24-48 hours to get a reply.

And from your spec I would suggest testing the system with another PSU as that would be the most likely cause. Also please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB installed.

If you sent and email or phoned over the weekend that may be why you did not get a reply but it takes 24-48 hours to get a reply.
For clarification, I submitted an online support form last Tuesday evening (01/02). I placed the phone call yesterday (answering machine promises an "end of day" return call). No problem - couldn't ask for any quicker response than that which came with this post!

And from your spec I would suggest testing the system with another PSU as that would be the most likely cause. Also please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB installed.

I have used that particular model power supply and configuration with dozens of builds. Looking back at my configuration logs, I did find that while all had been Dual-Channel populations (alternate brand of memory), NONE had been of a 2GB-KIT. I have a completed build on the bench (now) and used a MSI 460W power supply (instead of the Allied 500W). Used the Corsair 2GB-KIT in question, populating as Dual-Channel. Powered on and the system initializes without complaint; indicating that the PSU may well HAVE been the influencing factor. I will recall the two systems that went out in Single-Channel configurations for PSU replacements and verify the same result.

While I consider the next question to be beyond that for which I feel you need be responsible, I can't help but to ask. Is there some particular parameter of PSUs (as provided in published specs) that one should be on the lookout for? Or is it simply a matter of trial & error? I am a recent convert to Corsair and would like to make future builds less troublesome. (Again, feel free to decline if this is not an area you care to delve into.)

Again, thank you for the quick and [quite apparently] accurate analysis of my build issues.

Jim

• Corsair Employee

Jim,

The problems you listed would suggest a PSU problem or some type of grounding issue. Its just that simple.

There is no real place to get that kind of information about PSU's other then just trying them and knowing what works well and what does not. But personally if I don’t use our PSU's I will only use PC Power and Cooling.

Archived