Corsair Community

Bad CMX512-3200C2PT?

jams10781

Just purchased an additional stick of CMX512-3200C2PT to install in my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (running Barton 2800+) to run in dual channel. I upgrade to latest BIOS 1013 before I installed new memory. When I restarted my pc wouldn't boot to Windows. I checked some of the threads and then went to my BIOS settings. Current settings are listed below:

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

My CPU_FSB pins are 1 and 2.

I then tried the system in single channel, it would constantly restart before Windows completely loaded.

I then tried my first stick (known good) in each DIMM slot (A2, A1, B1) with the above BIOS settings. Everything works fine in all 3 slots. I put in my new stick and it wont boot with it in any of the slots.

Both are CMX512-3200C2PT.

Any other suggestions or should I request an RMA?

Also, I downloaded memtest 86+ v1.65 and will run that tonight to test both sticks.

• Corsair Employees

A 2800+ should be running at 166 Mhz please try these settings with the modules in slots 2-3 and see if the system will pass http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

OK, I finally had some time to run the tests.

I set CPU freq to 166 MHz.

First test: Original stick in slot 2

Results: good

Second test: Original in slot 2, new one in slot 3

Results: good

(still wont complete the boot up after test)

Third test: New stick in slot 2

Results: first attempt it wouldn't start testing, recieved "Unexpected Interrupt" error.

Second attempt: ran to 96% complete on pass, over 53,000 errors reported.

I received my RMA (R221662), however the part number listed in the claim lists my returning part number as CMX1024-3200C2PT. Which is different then what I actually posses. Is there going to be a problem processing my RMA with this difference?

I left a message on the Corsair customer support line. Waiting on call back. But If i can any help here, it would be appreciated.

Jason

Archived